Medical device shortages: Report the end of a shortage
Manufacturers of Class I to IV medical devices and importers of Class I medical devices must report the end of a medical device shortage for devices that are on the List of Medical Devices - Notification of Shortages. Submit your report 2 business days after meeting the demand for the medical device.
The requirements for reporting the end of a shortage are outlined in section 62.23(2) of the Medical Devices Regulations.
To support medical device shortage and discontinuation reporting, Health Canada has posted Guidance for reporting medical device shortages and discontinuations (GUI-0137).
How to report
Include the following information when reporting the end of a medical device shortage:
- name of the device and of any component, accessory, or part of the affected device, including the model name, if applicable
- device identifier
- includes the identifier of any medical device that is part of a system, test kit, medical device group, medical device family or device group family
- name and contact information for the manufacturer or the importer
- rationale for why the shortage has ended
- date of the end of the shortage
Complete these fields when submitting a report to notify us of the end of a shortage.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: