Fee payments under the Cannabis Fees Order and payment for Administrative Monetary Penalties
Please note that the information on this web page is for general guidance only. For all legal purposes, the Cannabis Act, the Cannabis Regulations and the Cannabis Fees Order will apply.
On this page
- Fee types
- Fee payments
- Fee payment process
- Administrative Monetary Penalties (AMPs)
- Notice of Violation (NoV)
- AMP payment process
- How to pay the invoice or AMP
- Contact us
Under the cannabis program, fees apply to these classes of licences:
- cultivation (standard, micro, nursery)
- processing (standard, micro)
- sales for medical purposes
There are several fees under the cannabis program:
- a fee for screening licence applications
- a fee for conducting security clearances
- a fee for processing applications for permits to import or export cannabis for scientific or medical purposes
- an annual regulatory fee to cover other regulatory costs, including:
- detailed review of licence applications
- review and issuance of licence amendments
- inspections, compliance and enforcement activities
For more information on cannabis fees and fee exemptions, please refer to the Cannabis Fees Order Guide
Fees will be specified on the invoice. It is the responsibility of the applicant or licence holder to send payments on time. Late payments may accrue interest charges or result in:
- applications not being processed
- suspension or revocation of a license
Fee payment process
Payment of Application Screening, Security Clearance and Import/Export Permit Fees
Health Canada will send you an invoice when it receives your application. Fees will be specified on the invoice issued by Health Canada.
Please wait to receive Health Canada's invoice before sending payment. Do not send your payment with your application.
Once the fee is paid in full, Health Canada will begin processing the application. To ensure timely processing of applications, it is important that you pay all fees in full and on time.
Paying the Annual Regulatory Fee
When a licence is first issued for a site, Health Canada sends an invoice for the minimum annual regulatory fee that applies to that site.
By April 30 of every year, the licence holder must submit a Statement of Cannabis Revenue to Health Canada for each licenced site. This statement will be used to calculate the annual regulatory fee each year for a given site.
Administrative Monetary Penalties (AMPs)
An Administrative Monetary Penalty (AMP) occurs when Health Canada believes on reasonable grounds that a person has committed a violation of certain provisions of the Cannabis Act and the Cannabis Regulations.
For more information on Administrative Monetary Penalties, please refer to the Administrative Monetary Penalties Under The Cannabis Act factsheet.
Notice of Violation (NoV)
The NoV is a document sent to the person to communicate the details of the AMP, including:
- the person’s name (individual or organization)
- the alleged violation
- the penalty for the violation that the person is liable to pay
- the particulars concerning the time and manner of payment
AMP payment process
It is the responsibility of the person who is issued the AMP to send payments in the time and manner specified on the NoV. Late payments may accrue interest charges.
This would include amended amounts following a ministerial review or a request for a security deposit in the case of a signed compliance agreement.
To ensure proper accounting reconciliation the payment must include the NoV number (#).
How to pay the invoice or AMP
Health Canada accepts:
- wire transfer
- payment through your Canadian financial institution
Credit card and cash payment are not accepted at this time. All payments must be made in Canadian funds.
Cheques must be made payable to the "Receiver General for Canada". Mail the cheque and a copy of the invoice to:
P/L: 1918B, 18th Floor, Room 1804B
161 Goldenrod Driveway, Tunney's Pasture
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0K9
Ensure to note your invoice number or Notice of Violation file number on your cheque.
Allow 14 calendar days for mailing and payment processing.
Canadian financial institution
The steps may be slightly different for each institution. For assistance on setting up a PAYEE, please contact your financial institution directly.
General steps to pay online through your financial institution are:
- Log in to your online bank account
- Click Pay Bills and select Add a bill Payee
- Type "Cannabis" in the Name of the Organization (Payee) field
- Select Cannabis Licences and Permits
- Click OK
- Type your Client ID (located on the invoice or Notice of Violation) into the Account Number field
- Click OK or Submit
Please make sure all service charges, including fees charged by your bank or any intermediary banks, are covered by your payment. Health Canada is not responsible for any fees charged during the transfer process.
To make a wire payment, please include this information:
- Company's full (legal) name
- Invoice number or Notice of Violation number (as applicable)
- Licence class/subclass (e.g.: Standard Processing)
- Customer No. (ex: CANXXXXXXX)
Make wire payments to:
- Bank Name: Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec
1 Complexe Desjardins, South Tower, 15th floor,
Montreal QC Canada
- SWIFT: CCDQCAMM
- Bank Number: 815
- Transit Number: 98000
- Beneficiary Name: - 022-25631 - Health
- Beneficiary Account Number: MFI09703350815CAD2
- Charges Field: "OUR"
- Description Field: Company Name, Customer Number and Invoice Number (or Notice of Violation number as applicable)Footnote *
For general inquiries about fee payment, contact us at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: