Cost recovery for the regulation of cannabis
The Cannabis Fees Order was published in the Canada Gazette, Part II and came into force on October 17, 2018.
On this page
Who this information is for
The Cannabis Act establishes the authority to charge fees to recover federal government costs through a ministerial order.
As of October 17, 2018, fees will apply to these licences:
- cultivation (standard, micro, nursery)
- processing (standard, micro)
- sales for medical purposes
There are several fees:
- a fee for screening licence applications
- a fee for conducting security clearances
- a fee for processing applications for permits to import or export cannabis for scientific or medical purposes
- an annual regulatory fee to cover other regulatory costs, including:
- detailed review of licence applications
- review and issuance of licence amendments
- inspections, compliance and enforcement activities
Additional information on the Ministerial Orders can be found at:
- Cannabis Fees Order (Came into force October 17, 2018)
- Order Amending the Cannabis Fees Order (Exemptions – Sale for Medical Purposes) * and Cannabis for Medical Purposes Remission Order *
* Important: Licence holders who sell cannabis exclusively for medical purposes will have until February 21, 2020, (30 days from the coming into force date of January 22, 2020) to apply for a remission of annual regulatory fees for fiscal years 2018 to 2019 and 2019 to 2020. Please refer to the remission order published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, for complete details.
Between July 12 and August 13, 2018, Health Canada engaged with stakeholders on the Proposed Approach to Cost Recovery for the Regulation of Cannabis.
A summary of feedback received, as well as how the feedback was included in the final design of the fees, can be found in the Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement (RIAS) in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
Cost recovery information
We give detailed information on fee payment in:
Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch
Address locator 0602E
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K9
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: