Cost recovery for the regulation of cannabis
The Cannabis Fees Order was published in the Canada Gazette, Part II and came into force on October 17, 2018.
On this page
Who this information is for
The Cannabis Act establishes the authority to charge fees to recover federal government costs through a ministerial order.
As of October 17, 2018, fees apply to these licences:
- cultivation (standard, micro, nursery)
- processing (standard, micro)
- sales for medical purposes
There are several fees:
- a fee for screening licence applications
- a fee for conducting security clearances
- a fee for processing applications for permits to import or export cannabis for scientific or medical purposes
- an annual fee to cover other regulatory costs, including:
- detailed review of licence applications
- review and issuance of licence amendments
- inspections, compliance and enforcement activities
Additional information on the Ministerial Orders can be found at:
- Cannabis Fees Order (Came into force October 17, 2018)
- Order Amending the Cannabis Fees Order (Exemptions – Sale for Medical Purposes) and Cannabis for Medical Purposes Remission Order
- Order Amending the Cannabis Fees Order (Extension of Deadline for Payment of 2020-2021 Annual Fee) Footnote *
- Footnote 1
Important: Licence holders in their first and subsequent fiscal years (those issued a licence prior to April 1, 2020) will have until March 31, 2021 to pay their annual fee for fiscal year 2020-2021. Please refer to the extension of deadline for payment order published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, for complete details.
Between July 12 and August 13, 2018, Health Canada engaged with stakeholders on the Proposed Approach to Cost Recovery for the Regulation of Cannabis.
Between June 13 and June 27, 2020, Health Canada engaged with stakeholders on the Proposed Approach to Provide the Cannabis Industry with Financial Relief Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic.
A summary of feedback received, as well as how the feedback was included in the final design of the fees and the payment deferral for the 2020-2021 annual fee, can be found in their respective Regulatory Impact Analysis Statements (RIAS) in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
Cost recovery information
We give detailed information on fee payment in:
Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch
Address locator 0602E
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K9
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: