Reporting requirements for your cannabis licence: Cultivation, processing, or sale for medical purposes

On this page

Information about your promotions

You should to consult the Cannabis Act and the Fact sheet: the Cannabis Act and Cannabis Regulations - promotion prohibitions to learn about promotions.

Once a year, you need to inform Health Canada about any promotional expenses and activities related to cannabis. This includes any money spent on promotions of cannabis accessories or services related to cannabis.

You should use the Annual reporting form: reporting information related to promotions to send information about all your promotions expenses and activities that took place during the previous calendar year. You need to send your annual report no later than March 31st of the following year. For example, reports for January 1 to December 31, 2022, will be due on March 31, 2023.

We recommend that you send in a blank report if no promotional spending happened during the year. This will show that you understood and followed the reporting requirements. Sending a blank report will also make sure that Health Canada won't need to contact you later to find out why you didn't submit a report.

Large corporate entities with multiple licences can submit a combined report. However, this document needs to contain separate reports for each licence number or each brand (such as brand element). If you choose to report promotions expenses by brand, you need to identify all licence numbers associated with the brand. You also need to include any non-brand specific promotions.

If you have questions about promotions, email The subject line of the email should be "Promotions for LIC#".

Key investors

Licence holders must determine whether they have key investors. Most licence holders are required to keep records and report on their key investors annually. Refer to Key investor reporting for more information on actions you need to take.

Notice to local authorities

You need to give written notice to the local authorities within 30 days after these events:

You need to give the notice to a senior official of:

The notice needs to include:

You also need to send a copy to Health Canada by emailing The file name and subject line of the email should be "Post-Licensing Notifications to Local Authorities for LIC #"

Other reporting requirements

There are several other reporting requirements for licence holders, such as:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: