Opioids are medications that relieve pain. When used properly, they can help. But problematic use can cause dependence, overdose and death.
Services and information
Opioids, short- and long-term effects, problematic opioid use, substance use disorder, overdose.
Opioid overdose risks and signs, and how to respond to an overdose situation.
How to use naloxone to treat an opioid overdose and where to obtain a naloxone kit.
Stereotyping, prejudice, judging, social stigma, internalizing, ending stigma, barriers.
Federal action on opioids, harm reduction, prevention, treatment, enforcement, public health emergency response.
Data, surveillance and research to help inform the government about opioid drug use and impacts.
About the Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act
Fentanyl facts, nicknames, overdose signs and symptoms, tips for speaking with youth.
What we are doing
- The governments of Canada and New Brunswick invest more than $7 million in innovative treatment options for people who engage in problematic substance use
- The governments of Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador sign a bilateral agreement to fund innovative treatment options for problematic substance use
- Drug Use During Festival Season
- Health Canada reminds Canadians of the limitations of fentanyl test strips being used to check street drugs before consumption
- Minister of Health Ginette Petitpas Taylor announces intent to severely restrict marketing of opioids
- Statement from the Co-Chairs of the Special Advisory Committee on the Epidemic of Opioid Overdoses and the Canadian Institute for Health Information on Updates to Data Related to the Opioid Crisis
- Notice of Intent to Restrict the Marketing and Advertising of Opioids
- National report: Apparent opioid-related deaths in Canada (released June 2018)
- Pan-Canadian Trends in the Prescribing of Opioids and Benzodiazepines, 2012-2017
- Assessment of the Impact of the Ontario Fentanyl Patch-for-Patch Return Program
- National report: Apparent opioid-related deaths in Canada (released March 2018)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: