Opioids are medications that relieve pain. When used properly, they can help. But problematic use can cause dependence, overdose and death.
Services and information
Opioids, short- and long-term effects, problematic opioid use, substance use disorder, overdose.
Opioid overdose risks and signs, and how to respond to an overdose situation.
How to use naloxone to treat an opioid overdose and where to obtain a naloxone kit.
Stereotyping, prejudice, judging, social stigma, internalizing, ending stigma, barriers.
Federal action on opioids, harm reduction, prevention, treatment, enforcement, national public health crisis response.
Data, surveillance and research to help inform the government about opioid drug use and impacts.
About the Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act
Learn about fentanyl, why it can be dangerous, and what to do in the case of an overdose.
About opioid medications, their risks, and topics to discuss with your health care provider.
Initiative aimed to engage teens and young adults on the facts about opioids.
Information on drug-related harms and how to talk to your teen about the risks.
What is the opioid crisis? Quick stats on the opioid crisis. What are opioids exactly? How to respond to an overdose.
What we are doing
- Government of Canada announces funding for the Elizabeth Fry Society of Peterborough
- Government of Canada announces funding to help people living with chronic pain
- Joint Statement from the Co-Chairs of the Special Advisory Committee on the Epidemic of Opioid Overdoses on New Data Related to the Opioid Crisis
- Government of Canada supports efforts to better understand how substance use affects Indigenous communities
- Government of Canada invests in new measures to address the opioid crisis and emerging drug threats
- Government of Canada supports opioid overdose response training in B.C. and Yukon
- Statement from the Co-Chairs of the Special Advisory Committee on the Epidemic of Opioid Overdoses on Updated Data Related to the Opioid Crisis
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: