Work permit pilot extended to 2019 for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

Ottawa, December 15, 2017 – Family reunification is a key immigration priority for the Government of Canada. We recognize that when families can live and work together, their integration outcomes are improved.

That is why the Government of Canada is extending the open work permit pilot for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class until January 31, 2019. This ensures applicants are able to work, provide for their families and contribute to the Canadian economy while waiting for their applications to be processed.

To be eligible for an open work permit, you must be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada who is being sponsored under the SCLPC class. You must have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student, or worker) and live at the same address as your sponsor.

If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet received approval in principle under the SCLPC class, or have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete the work permit application. Send your completed application, along with appropriate fee, to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton at:

CPC – Vegreville
WP – Unit 777
6212 - 55th Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

Important: CPC Vegreville moved to Edmonton

Use this address instead:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o Work permits for spouses or common-law partners, Station 777
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application – meaning you received a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements but have not yet passed the medical, security and background checks for your family members or yourself – you may apply for an open work permit online.

If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before it expires.

If you are submitting a new application, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence. You must include the appropriate fees, and send all completed applications together to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga.

By mail:

In-Canada Sponsorship
CPC – Mississauga
P.O. Box 5040, Station B
Mississauga, ON
L5A 3A4

By courier service (no public drop-offs):

Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway, Suite 300
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

For more information, visit the Help Centre. If you have a case-specific enquiry, use the IRCC Web form.

Page details

Date modified: