Extend or change the conditions on your work permit: About the process
We couldn't load the data. Try again
About the process
If you have a work permit that’s about to expire or that you need to change, you must apply to extend it or change the conditions on it.
You should apply to extend your work permit at least 30 days before your current permit expires.
Maintain your status
If you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit before it expires, you’re legally allowed to stay in Canada while we process your application.
If your work permit expires while we process your application, find out if you can keep working.
Date and time we receive your application
To maintain your status, we must receive your application before your work permit expires. We determine the date and time an application is received 2 ways:
- If you apply online: You must submit your application before midnight UTC on the day
- Our online application system uses coordinated universal time (UTC).
- Make sure you know the difference between your local time and UTC.
- If you apply on paper: We stamp paper applications the day we receive them at the case
- If we receive an application after your work permit expires, we’ll count back 7 days and use that as the date received.
Check the expiry date on your passport
You can’t extend your work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. Make sure your passport won’t expire before the requested end date of your permit.
If you don’t have a work permit
If you want to work in Canada temporarily, find out what you need to do.
If you want to stay in Canada permanently
You must qualify under one of the permanent resident categories.
- Date modified: