Application for Canadian Citizenship – Minors – Subsection 5(2)
Applications received at our Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Sydney, NS on March 1, 2021 or later must use forms from October 2020 or later (indicated on the lower left corner of the form). Application forms that are not up-to-date will be returned as incomplete. IRCC does not consider the date of signatures or mailing to be deciding factors.
This form for an application under subsection 5(2) is intended for minors (under 18) who are permanent residents of Canada who want to apply for Canadian citizenship.
- Do not use this form to apply for proof that a child born outside Canada to a Canadian parent is a Canadian citizen. If your child was born outside Canada and is a Canadian citizen, apply for proof of citizenship (adults and minors).
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship under subsection 5(2), you, the minor:
- must be under 18 years of age on the day you sign the application;
- must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada;
- must have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as you (applying together as a family);
- can’t have any unfulfilled conditions relating to their permanent resident status
- can’t be under a removal order (asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada);
- can’t be inadmissible or prohibited on criminal or security grounds.
This application package includes an instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
- Instruction guide
- Document Checklist [CIT 0008] (PDF, 314.35 KB)
- Application for Canadian Citizenship - Minors [CIT 0003] (PDF, 2.32 MB)
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Residence Outside Canada [Form CIT 0177] (PDF, 667.46 KB)
- Use of a Representative [Form IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB)
- Request to Correct a Date of Birth for Citizenship [CIT 0464] (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- Request form for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier [IRM 0002] (PDF, 1.79 MB)
Prepare a complete application
To make sure you submit all the pages of the application form with your application package, follow these steps:
Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes will automatically be created.
- Print and sign the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and
- use a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: