Take the online citizenship test
- is in English or French
- is 30 minutes long
- has 20 questions that are either
- multiple choice, or
- true or false
You need to get at least 15 out of 20 questions right to pass the test.
For more on what to expect, read
You can only take the test after you receive our invitation.
If you gave an email address in your application, we’ll send you or your representative an invitation by email.
- To avoid missing our emails, check your junk or spam folders.
- Look for invitation in an email address that ends in “@cic.gc.ca.”
If you or your representative did not give an email address
- you can give one by using our Web form, or
- we’ll call you (check your voicemail messages regularly)
Before you take the test
- a piece of identification (ID), like
- your permanent resident card (even if it’s expired), or
- a valid (not expired) ID with your photo and signature on it (for example, driver’s licence or health card)
- your application number (opens in a new tab) and unique client identifier (UCI) (opens in a new tab)
- You can find them in your test invitation.
- a valid email address
- a reliable Internet connection
- a desktop computer, laptop or tablet with a webcam
- a Chrome or Safari Web browser
Do not use the following to take the test:
- a mobile phone
- Chrome on an iPad
- Microsoft Surface Pro
You must take the test by yourself in a room with good lighting. This will make sure that our system can see you clearly through the webcam.
When you’re ready to take the test, sign in with your
- application number, and
- UCI or client ID
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: