Take the online citizenship test
On this page
- About the test
- Wait for your test invitation
- What you need for the test
- Start the online citizenship test
About the test
The online citizenship test
- is in English or French
- is 30 minutes long
- has 20 questions that are either
- multiple choice, or
- true or false
You need to get at least 15 out of 20 questions right to pass the test.
For more on what to expect, read
Wait for your test invitation
You can only take the test after you receive our invitation.
You must complete the test within 21 calendar days of the start date in your invitation.
If you need to reschedule
Contact the email address in the Rescheduling section of your test invitation. In your email, include
If you’re outside of Canada
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.
In your email
- put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
- in the body of your message, include
- your full name
- your application number
- the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
You don’t need to contact us to get an invitation.
- We’re working as quickly as we can to invite eligible applicants to take the test.
- Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we can’t tell you when you’ll get the invitation.
If you gave an email address in your application, we’ll send you or your representative an invitation by email.
- The test invitation letter will be a PDF file attached to the invitation email.
- To avoid missing our emails, check your junk or spam folder.
- Look for an invitation from an email address that ends in “@cic.gc.ca.”
If you or your representative did not give an email address,
- you can give one by using our Webform, or
- we’ll call you (check your voicemail messages regularly)
What you need for the test
- a piece of identification (ID), like
- your permanent resident card (even if it’s expired), or
- a valid (not expired) ID with your photo and signature on it (for example, driver’s licence or health card)
- your application number(opens in a new tab) and unique client identifier (UCI)(opens in a new tab)
- You can find them in your test invitation.
- a valid email address
- a reliable Internet connection
- a desktop computer, laptop or tablet with a webcam
- a Chrome or Safari Web browser
- to close all other applications on your device
- This includes applications that use your webcam or allow screen-sharing.
- to take the test by yourself
- to be in a quiet room with good lighting so our system can see you clearly through the webcam
Do not use the following to take the test:
- a mobile phone
- Chrome on an iPad
- Microsoft Surface Pro
- a virtual private network (VPN)
Start the online citizenship test
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: