About the online citizenship test
This tutorial will tell you what to expect when you take the online citizenship test (opens in a new tab). Please read it carefully before starting the test.
If we invited you for an online test, you
- have 21 days from the date in the invitation to take the test
- If you need an extension, email the office that sent you the test invitation with your explanation.
- Our officers give extensions on a case-by-case basis.
- can wait until the in-person tests resume (date to be determined) if you can’t or don’t want to do the online test
If you’re outside of Canada
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.
In your email
- put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
- in the body of your message, include
- your full name
- your application number
- the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
We’ll invite you for an online test
- as soon as possible
- based on the order of applicants in our files
The test is 30 minutes long. Give yourself at least 1 hour to prepare for the test (for example, to get your photo ID, set up your webcam and make sure your device is working).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: