Retention and safekeeping of official passports
This section contains information for representatives of the Government of Canada, and people travelling on Government of Canada-related business.
A Canadian passport remains the property of the Government of Canada at all times.
You must return the diplomatic or special passport to the Passport Program Official Travel office immediately after completing the official business trip travel, if you change departments, if your passport has expired, or at the Passport Program’s request. The official passport will be held in safekeeping until it is needed for your next official travel.
Exception: Personnel of departments or agencies that have entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Passport Program Official Travel for the safekeeping of official passports.
How to return your official passport
Return your official passport either in person, by courier, by messenger or by mail.
The only exception is for personnel of departments or agencies that have entered into a memorandum of understanding with Passport Program Official Travel for the safekeeping of official passports.
The departments and agencies that have ratified a memorandum of understanding are:
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Border Services Agency
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- Commissioner - Correctional Service of Canada
- Environment Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- Labour - Deputy Minister's Office
- Labour - Minister's Office
- National Defence - Minister's Office
- Natural Resources Canada - Deputy Minister's Office
- Public Health Agency of Canada (Winnipeg)
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Senior Deputy Governor - Bank of Canada
- Transport Canada - Civil Aviation - Standards Branch
To find out more about entering into a memorandum of understanding for the safekeeping of official passports, please email us.
How to get your official passport for an upcoming trip
If the passport is still valid, and the validity period is enough to cover the length of your trip, write a request to the Passport Program Official Travel to get your passport by email or by fax.
Global Affairs Canada clients – diplomatic passports only
Global Affairs Canada personnel must sign and submit the Agreement regarding continued custody of diplomatic passports [PPTC 446] (PDF, 50.21KB) to keep their diplomatic passport.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: