Retention and safekeeping of official passports
This section contains information for representatives of the Government of Canada and people travelling on Government of Canada business.
A Canadian passport remains the property of the Government of Canada at all times.
You must return the diplomatic or special passport to the Passport Program Official Travel office immediately
- after completing your travel on the official business trip
- if you change departments
- when the passport expires, or
- if requested to do so by the Passport Program
The official passport will be held in safekeeping until it is needed for your next official travel.
Exception: Personnel of departments or agencies that have entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Passport Program, Official Travel, for the safekeeping of official passports.
How to return your official passport
Return your official passport either in person, by courier, by messenger or by mail.
The only exception is for personnel of departments or agencies that have entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Passport Program, Official Travel, for the safekeeping of official passports.
The departments and agencies that have ratified a memorandum of understanding are:
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Bank of Canada—Senior Deputy Governor
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- National Defence—select units
- National Research Council
- Natural Resources Canada—Deputy Minister's Office
- Public Health Agency of Canada (Winnipeg)
- Public Service Commission
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Supreme Court of Canada
- Transport Canada
- Treasury Board Secretariat
To find out more about entering into a memorandum of understanding for the safekeeping of official passports, please email us.
How to get your official passport for an upcoming trip
If the passport is still valid, and the validity period is enough to cover the length of your trip, write a request to the Passport Program Official Travel to get your passport by email or by fax.
Global Affairs Canada clients – diplomatic passports only
Global Affairs Canada personnel must sign and submit the Agreement regarding continued custody of diplomatic passports [PPTC 446] (PDF, 50.21KB) to keep their diplomatic passport.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: