Special or diplomatic passport (children): About the process

About the process

If you’re travelling with your child while on official government business, you may apply for a special or diplomatic passport for children. You can’t apply as a family. You’ll have to submit a separate application for your child. You don’t have to submit the applications at the same time, but can if you wish.

Official passports

An official passport (special or diplomatic passport) tells border officers in other countries that your child is accompanying you on:

  • official business and
  • is representing Canada abroad.

We decide if the child gets a special or diplomatic passport.

How to use a child’s official passport

Before your trip

Apply for an official passport before your trip, and allow time for the processing of a foreign visa, if you need one.

While you travel

Your child must:

  • travel with only 1 valid Canadian passport
  • use your special or diplomatic passport only when travelling with you on official business


Special or diplomatic passport: $225

Visa: $90 per visa (if required).

Processing time ?

15 business days

Keep in mind that the 15 business days doesn’t include the time it will take to get a foreign visa. It can take between 3 and 45 days depending on the country. We have no control over the time it takes another country to process a visa and can’t influence those processing times.

Exceptions can be made only if we grant a special authorization.

After you travel

You must return your child’s official passport to us when you complete an official trip, unless you’re a government employee whose department has a memorandum of understanding with us.

We can revoke the passport or deny an official passport in the future if you don’t follow these instructions.

Urgent requests

We can’t always address urgent requests for an official passport. Your request must be exceptional and you need proper justification (such as proof of travel).

Page details

Date modified: