Apply for a travel document for non-Canadians: After you apply

Refugee travel document and certificate of identity services are now available

Find out how to apply for regular or urgent service.

If you already applied and now need a travel document urgently, contact us.

Processing your application

We’re working to deliver travel document services as quickly as we can. Due to high volumes, processing times may be longer than usual.

If your application is incomplete, we’ll return it to you.

If we start processing your application, you will not get a full refund if

You need to request a refund if

If we refuse your application

You won’t get the full service fee back. We only refund the consular fee. We do this automatically.

If we approve your application

Your travel document and your original documents will be mailed to you. They may be in 2 separate packages.

Contact us to update your mailing address if you

  • haven’t received your travel document and
  • are moving within 30 days of submitting your application

If you have a community mailbox, make sure you check it before you contact us about your application.

After getting your travel document

When you receive your travel document, you need to do the following:

1. Make sure the information is accurate

Make sure the information in the travel document is accurate, especially your personal information. If there are any errors, contact us immediately.

2. Sign your travel document

You must sign your travel document in ink in the signature block on page 3.

If you don’t write, you can leave the signature block blank if

  • you submitted a medical letter with your application explaining that you don’t write
  • we added a note on page 3 of your travel document

Children’s travel documents

Children under 16 years of age do not sign the travel document. Parents or guardians must never sign a child’s travel document. The signature block on page 3 should be left blank.

3. Complete the address and emergency contact information section on page 4

Make sure you write your current address on your travel document.

For your emergency contact, we recommend you pick someone who does not normally travel with you.

If your address or emergency contact changes

Page details

Date modified: