Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot


We’re no longer accepting new applications

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot ended on June 17, 2024. We’ll continue to process applications we received on or before this date.

See how we’re committed to making sure caregivers continue to have a pathway to permanent residence.

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that let qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

If you’ve been offered a job in Canada as a caregiver or have experience working in Canada as a caregiver, you may be able to apply for permanent residence through one of these pilots.

The application process will be different depending on your situation and how much qualifying work experience you have.

Qualifying work experience

Qualifying work experience means you’ve worked full-time in Canada in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) jobs:

Home child care provider (NOC 44100)

Home support worker (NOC 44101)

If you applied before November 2022

On November 16, 2022, we switched to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

If you submitted an application before November 16, 2022, your job offer or qualifying work experience will still be assessed as per the NOC 2016 requirements.

  • Home child care provider – NOC 4411 was replaced with NOC 44100
  • Home support worker – NOC 4412 was replaced with NOC 44101

Tell us how much experience you have

New changes to the pilots

Updated June 24, 2024

These changes are now in effect and apply to all applications being processed:

  • You only need 6 months of work experience, instead of 12, to qualify.
  • For the Gaining experience category, we’ll accept eligible work experience
    • from inside or outside Canada
    • gained anytime between the 36-month period before you submitted your permanent residence application and the date you provide proof of work experience

If you already applied to the Gaining experience category and now have enough eligible work experience, you can send us proof.

If you’ve never worked full-time as a caregiver in Canada or have less than 12 months of work experience, you can apply to the Gaining experience category.

If you’ve worked full-time as a caregiver in Canada for 12 months or more in the last 36 months, you can apply to the Direct to permanent residence category.

Page details

Date modified: