Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot – Gaining experience category: About the process

If you have less than 12 months of qualifying work experience, you can apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot, as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements.

How the process works

  1. You apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot, depending on which occupation you plan to work in.
  2. You submit a work permit application with your permanent residence application and pay the required fees for both applications.
    • You must include a work permit application for your entire application to be complete. This applies even if you already have a separate valid work permit.
  3. If you meet the requirements, you get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily.
  4. The work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit and lets you work as a caregiver for any employer.Footnote *
  5. Get at least 12 months of eligible work experience in Canada to qualify for permanent residence.
  6. Send us proof of your work experience once you have enough work experience.
  7. We make the final decision on your application for permanent residence.

If you’re already working in Canada

If you’re already working in Canada as a home child care provider or home support worker, you can do one of the following:

  1. apply to one of these pilots to complete your work experience
    • You must submit a work permit application with your application for permanent residence, even if you already have a valid work permit.
  2. keep working on your current work permit until you have 12 months of work experience

If your current work permit is expiring, find out how to extend it.

Bringing family members with you to Canada

Your family members are also eligible to come with you to Canada. If they want to work or study while in Canada

You don’t have to submit temporary resident applications for family members who aren’t coming with you to Canada when you apply.

If your application is approved, any family members you list as “accompanying” on your permanent resident application (on the IMM0008 Generic Application for Canada form) will get permanent resident status with you.

If your family members apply for a permit separately

They must apply for their work or study permit online and only after you get a letter that

You must wait for this specific letter to submit your family member’s application. You can’t use either of these:

  • letters with a temporary application number (that starts with an “X”)
  • automated email notifications you get after you submit your permanent residence application in the PR portal

Once you get your acknowledgement of receipt letter, you can submit your family members’ temporary residence application(s) online. Make sure you upload a copy of your acknowledgement of receipt letter as a supporting document.

Find out how to

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: