Who can apply as a skilled immigrant (Express Entry)

Note: We’ve made some changes to the Express Entry system:

  • you can now get additional points for at least one sibling (brother or sister) living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident
  • you can now get additional points for strong French language skills
  • it is now optional to create a Job Match account with Job Bank

Find out more about these changes and how they may affect you.

Learn how we choose skilled immigrants based on their skills and ability to contribute to Canada’s economy.

Program eligibility

Express Entry manages applications for three of our key economic immigration programs:

If you’re eligible to immigrate under one of these federal immigration programs:

Use our Come to Canada tool to see if you’re eligible for the Express Entry pool.

Provincial Nominee Program

Through Express Entry, provinces and territories can find and nominate candidates in the Express Entry pool under their Provincial Nominee Program where applicable.

Job Bank

Note: It is now optional to create a Job Match account with Job Bank.

If you are in the Express Entry pool, you can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank. Once you come to Canada, you can continue using Job Bank to find a job.

A Job Match account with Job Bank is an easy, online tool to help match you with employers looking for workers with your skills. To create an account:

  • go to the Job Match sign-in page
  • click the “Sign up” button
  • read the privacy notice and click “I agree”
  • follow the instructions to create an account

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) must support most job offers from an employer in Canada. An employer goes through this process to make sure there is a genuine labour market need before they can hire foreign workers.

In some cases, your employer does not need an LMIA to support your job offer. Find out more about which types of jobs don’t need an LMIA.


You must:

Your language test results must be less than two years old on the day we get your complete application for permanent residence.

Skilled work experience

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

You must have at least 12 months of skilled work experience that is:

  • full-time (meaning at least 30 hours of paid work per week)
  • an equal amount in part-time
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: