If your Express Entry application is approved

If we approve your application, we’ll mail you a

Your COPR will have information about who you are, as well as your photograph.

Check to make sure your information is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, contact us through your account.

We can’t extend your COPR, so you should make sure to use it before it expires.

If you’re already in Canada

Make sure you keep your information up to date

Use the web form if you need to update your contact information or tell us about changes to your family situation (for example, marriage, birth, divorce or death).

You need to confirm your permanent resident status virtually

In most cases, we can confirm permanent resident (PR) status

You don’t have to do anything until we contact you using the email or phone number you provided.

Confirm your permanent resident status through the Permanent Residence Portal

You’ll get emails from a mailbox ending in cic.gc.ca

  1. Asking you to confirm your email address
  2. Asking you to confirm you’re physically in Canada
  3. Giving you information about the Permanent Residence Portal (and options if you can’t use it)

The portal is separate from your Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada secure account. Don’t create your own account in the Permanent Residence Portal as this can delay the process. We’ll create an account for you. Follow the instructions in the email we send you.

Learn more about the Permanent Residence Portal.

You must tell us if you leave Canada before we grant you permanent resident status.

Permanent resident cards

Once you become a permanent resident, we’ll make an electronic confirmation of permanent residence (e-COPR) available to you in the Portal so that you can provide proof of your new status in Canada. In this portal, we’ll also ask you to provide a photo so we can start the process of issuing your first permanent resident card. You don’t need to apply for your first PR card.

While you wait for your PR card, you can use your printed and signed e-COPR to

If you’re outside Canada

Before you arrive in Canada

There are things you can do to prepare for life in Canada

When you arrive in Canada

You must have

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The officer will

To help speed up your entry to Canada, keep your passport and other documents with you at all times. Don’t pack them in your luggage.

We won’t allow you into Canada if you

If you’re admissible and there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must tell us using our web form.

Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with CAN$10,000 or more, you must tell the CBSA officer. If you don’t tell them, you could be fined and your funds could be seized.

What you can bring into Canada

Before you travel to Canada, check the CBSA website to find out what you can and can’t bring into the country.

After you arrive in Canada

Page details

Date modified: