Once you are in the pool – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
We’ll put you in the Express Entry pool of candidates if we find your Express Entry profile eligible. You’ll be in the pool for one year from the day you get in.
We’ll give you points based on the information you provided in your profile (skills and experience). We’ll rank you using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
There will be regular rounds to invite the top-ranked candidates in the pool to apply for permanent residence. We may invite you to apply if you’re among them.
You must have an invitation to apply before you can apply online for permanent residence.
Make sure that you give us a valid email address. To invite you to apply for permanent residence, we’ll send a message to:
- your account
- your personal email address
Job Match account - Job Bank
Note: It is now optional to create a Job Match account with Job Bank.
If you are in the Express Entry pool, you can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank. Once you come to Canada, you can continue using Job Bank to find a job.
A Job Match account with Job Bank is an easy, online tool to help match you with employers looking for workers with your skills. To create an account:
- go to the Job Match sign-in page
- click the “Sign up now!” button
- read the privacy notice and click “I agree”
- follow the instructions to create an account
If your profile expires
If we don’t invite you to apply for permanent residence after a year of being in the pool, your Express Entry profile will expire.
- If you still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, you’ll need to complete and submit a new profile.
- If you meet minimum entry criteria, we’ll give you a new Express Entry Profile Number.
Get your application for permanent residence ready
If we invite you to apply, you'll have 90 days to fill out and submit your application.
Some documents (for example, police certificates) may take longer than 90 days to get. Apply for these documents right away, so that you have them ready and can apply within the 90-day time limit.
Try to improve your score
You can improve your score and increase your chances of being invited to apply by:
Be sure that your profile is up-to-date and accurate
You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times. You must update your profile if your situation changes, such as if you:
- start a new career
- get a new language test
- get married or divorced
- have or adopt a new child
If we find that you misrepresented yourself (gave us false information or left out important details), we can:
- refuse your application
- find you inadmissible
- bar you for five years from applying to come to Canada for any reason
Top questions about Express Entry profiles
- What do I do if I lost my GCKey username or password?
- What do you mean by Primary Occupation?
- What is a personal reference code for Express Entry? Where can I get a one?
- My personal reference code is not working. What should I do?
- Where can I find my Express Entry profile number and/or Job Seeker validation code?
- How do I find my National Occupation Classification (NOC) code?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: