Create an Express Entry profile: What to do while you wait in the pool

While you wait in the pool, get ready to accept an invitation to apply. If we invite you to apply, you’ll have 60 days to submit a complete application.

On this page:

Get your documents ready

Having your documents ready will make it easier to apply within the 60 days.

Language tests

Check that your language test results are valid. They are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. They must also be valid on the date you apply for permanent residence.

If your results expire before then, you should:

If you apply for permanent residence with language test results that have expired, we'll reject your application.

Police certificates

You’ll need to get police certificates for you and any of your family members who are 18 years old or older.

In some countries, it can take a long time to get police certificates. Ask for them now that you’re in the pool, so you can submit them before your 60 days are up.

Find a job with Job Match

You can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank. Job Bank is a database that can help match you with employers looking for workers with your skills.

You can sign up for a Job Match account after you’re in the Express Entry pool. To do this, you’ll need the Job Seeker validation code you received when you submitted your profile. Once you come to Canada, you can keep using Job Bank to find a job.

Try to improve your score

While you’re in the pool, you can improve your score and increase your chances of being invited to apply by:

Keep your profile up-to-date

You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times. You must update your profile if your situation changes, for example if you:

If we find that you gave us false information or left out important details, we can:

Some commons reasons why your profile could become ineligible:

If your work permit is about to expire

You need to keep your status if you’re in the pool and your work permit is expiring.

The expiry date on your work permit is the date you must stop working in Canada. In most cases, it’s also the date your temporary resident status in Canada expires.

You can apply to restore your work permit in the first 90 days after it expires. If you do this:

There is no guarantee we’ll approve your work permit application.

Don’t be tempted to work or stay in Canada without status. It can make you ineligible for Express Entry.

Find out how to restore your work permit.

Get updates about Express Entry

Page details

Date modified: