After you apply: CUAET applications from outside Canada

The information on this page is for you if you applied for the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel on or before July 15, 2023.

Find out what you may need to do after you apply to come to Canada under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) measures as well as what you should know once you arrive.

On this page

Fingerprints and photo (biometrics)

After you submit your application, you may need to give your biometrics if you haven’t already done so in the past.

If you need to give your biometrics, we’ll send you a biometric instruction letter (BIL). If you get a BIL, this means you need to give your biometrics before we can continue processing your application.

Learn more about when and how to give your biometrics.

Exemption for some applicants

If you applied for a visa under the CUAET measures, you may not need to give biometrics if you

We’ll contact you by email to let you know if this applies to you. In all cases, follow the most recent instructions we’ve sent you.

Processing your application

We process most CUAET applications within 60 calendar days, but it may take longer for some cases. For example, we may ask you to send more documents or information. You’ll have 30 days from the date we contact you to submit the information.

Medical exam

You may need to get a medical exam within 90 days of your arrival in Canada. The requirements are based on your age.

If you’re 15 years old or older

You need a chest X-ray and a blood test.

If you’re between 11 and 14 years old

You need a chest X-ray.

If you’re 10 years old or younger

You need a visual health check.

You’ll get instructions on how to complete this when you arrive. You may need to pay a fee for this exam.

Find out about medical exams for visitors, students and workers

Get your visa (if we approve your application)

When your application is approved, we’ll send you instructions on how to get your visa. In most cases, you need to submit your passport so we can attach your visa. To do this, follow the instructions in the letter or email we send you. Do not send your passport until you receive these instructions.

Families submitting passports together

Families should only submit their passports together once each member has received their own passport request. If a member of your family has not received their passport request, they must wait until they get it before submitting their passport.

Counterfoil-less visas

If you need to travel to Canada as soon as possible, you may be able to ask for a counterfoil-less (foil-less) visa. With a foil-less visa, you don’t have to send us your passport to get a physical visa attached.

Before asking for a foil-less visa, make sure you understand the differences between getting a foil-less and a physical visa.

Learn more about foil-less visas.

Plan your trip to Canada

Prepare for your trip to Canada by making sure you understand all travel requirements, what documents you should bring and what to do after you enter Canada.

You can also learn about supports and services that are available to you or get information to help you get started in Canada.

Find out more about travelling to and settling in Canada.

When to travel to Canada

To be eligible for the CUAET in-Canada measures, you must enter Canada by March 31, 2024.

Your visa is valid to use for travel to Canada until it expires. However, if you enter Canada after March 31, 2024, you

When you arrive in Canada

Tell the officer at the port of entry that you’re coming to Canada under the CUAET measures so that they can give you the right document to let you to work, study or stay longer than 6 months.

How long you can stay in Canada

Under the CUAET measures, you may be able to stay in Canada for up to 3 years, as long as your passport or other travel document and your biometrics are valid for your entire stay. Check the expiry date on your visitor record, work permit or study permit to find out when your status expires.

If you want to stay longer, you need to apply to extend your stay in Canada before your status expires.

How to extend your stay in Canada

Applying for a work or study permit

If you come to Canada under the CUAET measures before March 31, 2024, you have the option to apply for a fee-exempt

If you want an open work permit or a study permit, you can either

Apply for the one-time financial assistance

We’re giving financial assistance to help Ukrainian families who are in Canada under the CUAET.

The assistance is a one-time, non-taxable benefit. It’s to take care of your basic needs while you get settled in Canada.

Apply for financial assistance.

Get settlement services in Canada

Settlement services are available to all Ukrainians and their family members in Canada until March 31, 2025.

Find settlement services

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Don't include personal information (telephone, email, SIN, financial, medical, or work details).
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Page details

Date modified: