Find out if your representative is authorized
You can check if a person is licensed to represent immigrants or to give advice.
- Citizenship or immigration consultants must be a member of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants.
- Lawyers or notaries must be a member of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society, or the Chambre des notaires du Québec.
- Paralegals (Ontario only) must be members of the Law Society of Ontario
If they are not members in good standing, you should not use their services.
Most law societies let you check online to see if a person is a member in good standing.
Law societies in each province and territory
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Law Society of Ontario
- Barreau du Québec
- Law Society of New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Law Society of Prince Edward Island
- Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Law Society of Yukon
- Law Society of the Northwest Territories
- Law Society of Nunavut
Chambre des notaires du Québec (French only)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: