Add, change or cancel a representative

You don’t need to use a representative to prepare and submit an immigration or citizenship application. You can get all the forms and instructions you need to apply for a visa, a permit or citizenship for free on this website.

If you follow the instructions, you should be able to fill out the forms and submit them without the help of a representative.

If you use an immigration and citizenship representative:

To do this, you must have them sign the use of representative form and submit it with your application. You must submit this form even if your representative is uncompensated.

If your representative says you don’t have to give us their information, they're wrong.

This information doesn’t apply to passport applications.

Add a representative to your immigration or citizenship file

Follow the steps below to add or appoint a representative to your application:

Change or cancel your representative

You can change or cancel your representative at any time.

To do this:

Beware of fraud

Beware of representatives who:

  • advertise their services as free and later ask you to pay a fee
  • encourage you to lie on your application

It’s against the law to give false or misleading information in your application. You’re responsible for all the information in your application even if your representative completes it for you.

Learn more about:

Page details

Date modified: