Support for senior citizens

Old Age Security

The Old Age Security (OAS) Pension is a monthly benefit available to most Canadians 65 years of age or older who have lived in Canada for at least 10 years.

Canada has International Social Security Agreements with many countries. People who have lived or worked in countries with which Canada has an agreement may qualify for OAS after as little as one year. See the Service Canada website for more information.

People who have low incomes and who get OAS may also be able to receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS). If their spouses or widows are between 60 and 64 years of age, these people may also qualify for Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor.

The Canada Pension Plan

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) retirement pension is a monthly benefit paid to people who have contributed to the CPP. All workers and employers in Canada pay into the CPP.

Canada has International Social Security Agreements with many countries. If you have not lived and worked in Canada long enough to receive a Canadian pension, these agreements can allow Canada to count your pension credits from your home country to help you qualify for a pension.

For more information about the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, or Canada’s Social Security Agreements with other countries, visit the Service Canada website.

Note: Service Canada has information about its programs and services available in multiple languages. For more information please visit their Multi-Language Information page.


Newcomer services in your area

Page details

Date modified: