Extend your study permit: when to apply
When to extend your study permit
You should apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires. Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time. You can’t extend your study permit beyond your passport’s expiry date.
If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until we make a decision.
You should apply to extend your study permit if you plan to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you’re travelling.
If you’ll finish your studies earlier than you expected
When your study permit expires
Your study permit will expire on the date marked on the permit or 90 days after the day you complete your studies, whichever comes first.
The 90 days begin
- on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
- when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.
If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we’ll use the earliest issue date on the document. We may need to confirm this date with your school.
If you want to keep studying, you must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before your permit expires.
If you’ll finish your studies later than you expected
You must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before the original expiry date.
What to do if your permit has expired
You have lost your student status if you’re still in Canada and
- the expiry date of your permit passed before you applied
- for a new study permit
- for a work permit, or
- to stay in Canada as a visitor
- you didn’t respect the conditions of your permit
In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student. To apply, you must
- submit your application within 90 days of losing your status
- keep meeting the requirements for your stay
- have met all the conditions listed on your permit, and
- pay your fees
- restoration fee
- study permit
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: