Extend your study permit or restore your status: When to apply

When to extend your study permit

If you want to keep studying, you must apply to extend your permit at least 30 days before it expires.

  • Make sure your passport doesn’t expire at the same time.
    • Your study permit cannot be extended beyond your passport’s expiry date.
  • If you apply before your permit expires, you can continue to study under the same conditions as your current study permit until we make a decision. This only applies as long as you stay in Canada.

If you finish your studies earlier than expected

Your study permit will expire on whichever date comes first:

  • the date marked on the permit or
  • 90 days after the day you complete your studies

When do the 90 days begin?

The 90 days begin

  • on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we’ll use the earliest issue date on the document. We may confirm this date with your school.

If you finish your studies later than expected

You must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before the original expiry date.

What to do if your permit has expired

If you want to continue studying in Canada, but your study permit has expired, you’ll need to

  • apply for a new study permit and
  • restore your status as a temporary resident in Canada.

If you apply after your permit expires, you can stay in Canada but may not continue to study until your status has been restored and you have received your new study permit.

Find out how to stay in Canada as a student after your study permit has expired.

Page details

Date modified: