Extend your study permit: How to apply
Applying online from inside Canada
In most cases you must apply online to get or extend a study permit from inside Canada. When you apply online, we get your application instantly, which can help us process your application faster. If you already applied on paper, you don’t have to resubmit your application online.
Error loading the number of days. Try again.
Processing time is the average for how long it takes from when an application is received to when we make a decision. Learn more about processing times.
Before you apply to extend your study permit, make sure your school is on the designated learning institution list (DLI).
If your school is no longer on the DLI list, you can keep studying until your current permit expires. When you need to extend your study permit, you’ll need to enroll at a DLI.
If your visitor visa has expired, and you need or want to leave and return to Canada, you also need to apply for a new visitor visa (not a visitor record).
How to apply to extend your study permit
You need to restore your status as a student when you extend your study permit. On the application form, select both:
- An initial study permit or extension of study permit, and
- Restoration of temporary resident status as a student
Explain how you lost your status and why you stayed in Canada longer than allowed. There’s no guarantee that we’ll accept your application. You can stay in Canada while we process your applications. You can’t study until we’ve restored your student status.
If your spouse, common-law partner or dependent children came with you to Canada, they may also need to restore their status.
In most cases, you must apply online to extend your study permit.
How applying online helps you
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
- Your applications may be processed more quickly.
- It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
- You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
- You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
To apply online, you’ll need:
- a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
- a valid credit or debit card.
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool
Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you.
Step 4: Know the fees you have to pay
In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application.
We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.
Step 5: Create your online account or sign in
You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
If you can’t apply online
You can submit a paper application if either:
- you can’t apply online because of a disability
- there’s a problem with the online application
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: