Extend your study permit or restore your status: How to apply
Updated application form for study permit extensions
On January 30, 2024, a new version of the study permit extension application form (IMM5709) became available. If you apply through the IRCC secure account on or after this date, you must use the new version of the form. We will not accept applications using the old version of the form.
If your school is no longer on the designated learning institution (DLI) list
Error loading the number of days. Try again.
You can either
- keep studying until your current permit expires or
- transfer to another DLI
If you want to extend your study permit, you’ll need to enroll at a school with DLI status.
If you plan to leave Canada either before or after you’ve applied for a study permit extension, you won’t be allowed to re-enter unless
- you have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit and
- you have a valid travel document
If you’ve deferred your enrolment
If you’ve deferred your enrolment and the DLI that issued your letter of acceptance is de-designated before you start studying, you cannot start studying at that school.
- If you’re in Canada with a valid study permit, you’ll need to
- apply to and be accepted at a new DLI
- update the information about your learning institution in MyAccount
- If your study permit has been approved but not issued yet
- we’ll send you a request to provide a new letter of acceptance from a new DLI
- you’ll need to update the information about your learning institution in MyAccount (if your study permit is approved)
Apply online to extend your study permit
A study permit is not a visa
Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
Your school will be asked to make sure your letter of acceptance is valid.
If your school does not respond by the deadline, we’ll return your application and refund your processing fee. Confirm with your school that they will validate your letter of acceptance before resubmitting your application.
To apply, you’ll need
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
Read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide explains how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool
Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you.
Step 4: Know the fees you have to pay
In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application.
We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.
Step 5: Create your online account or sign in
Choose the right account
Use the IRCC secure account when you apply to extend your study permit.
Even if you applied for your initial study permit using another account, you must use the secure account when you apply to extend your study permit.
You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
How applying online helps you
- There are no courier fees and no mail delivery time—we get your application instantly.
- Your application may be processed more quickly.
- It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
- You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
- You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
Alternate application format
You must apply online to extend your study permit. However, you may be eligible for an exemption that allows you to apply on paper.
- Date modified: