Get the right documents

Updates to financial requirements starting January 1, 2024

We’ve updated our financial requirements for study permit applicants. This change applies to new study permit applications received on or after January 1, 2024. The new amounts reflect updated cost-of-living requirements. These requirements will be adjusted each year as Statistics Canada updates the low-income cut-off.

You need these documents to apply for a study permit:

You may also need

Proof of acceptance

Your school must provide you with a letter of acceptance (LOA). Include the original or electronic copy of your letter with your study permit application.

Post-secondary students

Your school will be asked to make sure your letter of acceptance is valid.

If your school does not respond by the deadline, we’ll return your application and refund your processing fee. Confirm with your school that they will validate your letter of acceptance before resubmitting your application.

Make sure you only attach your LOA in the LOA-specific space when uploading documents for your online application. If you attach other documents in this space, you’re giving your consent to disclose these additional documents to your school. All other required documents should be attached in the corresponding spaces in your online application.

Conditional acceptance and prerequisite courses

If you’ve been conditionally accepted, you need to take prerequisite courses. For example, these might be English as a second language or French as a second language courses. You must complete these before you can start your main study program.

If this is the case, we’ll only issue your study permit for the length of those courses plus 1 year. Once you’re accepted into your main program, you’ll need to apply for a new student permit to extend your stay as a student.


If you’re the family member of someone who has a study permit or work permit application that’s been approved in writing before you come to Canada, you don’t need a letter of acceptance.

Provincial attestation letter from the province or territory where you plan to study

Most study permit applicants need to provide a provincial attestation letter (PAL) from the province or territory where they plan to study.

Unless you meet one of the exceptions, you must

How long a PAL is valid for

Your PAL only needs to be valid when we receive it with your application. Unless your PAL has an expiry date on it, it’s valid until January 21, 2025. You can resubmit a study permit application with the same PAL if the PAL is still valid.

How to get a PAL

Who doesn’t need a provincial attestation letter

You do not need a PAL when applying for a study permit if you

  • are applying to study in a preschool, primary school or secondary school (up to grade 12)
  • are applying to study in a master’s degree or doctoral degree program or
  • have entered Canada and one of the following situations applies to you:
    • You have a study permit and are applying for a study permit extension.
    • You have a work permit.
    • You’re a temporary resident who is a visiting or exchange student studying at a designated learning institution (DLI).
    • You’re a temporary resident who has completed a course or program of study that is a prerequisite to you enrolling at a DLI.
    • You’re under a removal order, but can’t be removed from Canada at this time.
    • You have a temporary resident permit valid for at least 6 months.
    • You’re a protected person.
    • You’re eligible for permanent residence
    • You’re the family member of a foreign national who lives in Canada and is one of the following:

Learn more about changes for international students.

Proof of identity

When applying for your study permit, you and each family member who comes with you to Canada must have

Proof of financial support

You must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who come with you while you are in Canada.

You can prove your funds with

If your country uses foreign exchange controls, you must prove that you’ll be allowed to export funds for all of your expenses.

Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (and family members who come with you)

All provinces except Quebec

Before January 1, 2024
Persons coming to Canada Amount of funds required per year (not including tuition)
You (the student) CAN$10,000
First family member CAN$4,000
Every additional accompanying family member CAN$3,000


If you and 2 family members want to come to a province (other than Quebec) for a year, you will need

  • living expenses: $10,000 (for the student)
  • living expenses: $4,000 (for the first family member)
  • living expenses: $3,000 (for the second family member)
    Total: $17,000
On or after January 1, 2024
Number of family members (including the applicant) Amount of funds required per year (not including tuition)
1 CAN$20,635
2 CAN$25,690
3 CAN$31,583
4 CAN$38,346
5 CAN$43,492
6 CAN$49,051
7 CAN$54,611
If more than 7 people, each additional family member CAN$5,559


If you and 2 family members want to come to a province (other than Quebec) for a year, you will need $31,583 for living expenses.


To study in Quebec, applicants must prove they meet the financial requirements outlined by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.

Letter of explanation

This letter helps the visa officer to understand you and your goals. It explains

You should include this letter if you decide to apply for a study permit, even if you don’t have to get a study permit for your program.

Medical exam

You may need a medical exam if any of these situations apply to you:

Find out who needs a medical exam.

Custodian declaration (minor children)

If the minor requires a custodian, you must include the Custodianship Declaration form (PDF, 1.02 MB) with your application. It has 2 pages that must be notarized (certified by a notary) and then included with your study permit application.

The custodian in Canada must sign the first page, and the parents or legal guardians of the minor child in the child’s home country must sign the second page.

Other documents

Check the visa office instructions for your country or region for local requirements.

If you aren't currently in your home country, you may have to prove your immigration status in the country you apply from.

If the government that issued your passport or travel document needs you to have a re-entry permit, you must get one before you apply for a Canadian visa. You may also need other documents.

Find out what to do if we asked you to provide a supporting document for your application.

Page details

Date modified: