After you apply

Processing time

We couldn’t load the data. Try again.

This processing time doesn’t include the time you need to give biometrics.

2. We process your study permit application

We’ll check your application to make sure you have all the necessary documents. If it’s incomplete, we may return your application without processing it, or request the missing documents.

We may also ask you to:

You may also need to get a:

Missing documents

If you weren’t able to submit all the required documents with your application, you can submit the missing documents through your online account or our web form.

We won’t process your study permit until you’ve submitted a complete application. Waiting to submit documents will cause delays in processing.

Updating your application

If you move or change your address, telephone number or any other contact information after you apply, you must update your application.

There’s a new way to check your application status

Use the application status tracker(opens in a new tab)  to get updates about your application. To create an account you need your

If we approve your application

You’ll get your study permit

If you applied for your study permit from outside Canada

We’ll send you a port of entry letter of introduction that says you’re allowed to study in Canada. This letter is not your study permit.

You need to bring this letter with you and show it to a border services officer when you arrive in Canada. We’ll also send you an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada, if you need one.

If you’re from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information about your eTA. Your eTA will be linked to your passport and is valid for 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. It’s important that you travel with the passport you used when you applied for your study permit.

If you’re from a country where you need a visitor visa, the visa will be in your passport. It’ll show if you can enter Canada once or multiple times. You must enter Canada before your visa expires.

If you’re a lawful permanent resident of the United States, travel with a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of status in the U.S.) and a valid passport from your country of nationality (or an equivalent document).

If you applied for your study permit from inside Canada

If you were eligible to apply from inside Canada

We’ll mail your study permit to the Canadian address you included in your application.

If you followed the instructions to apply for a study permit from outside Canada

In this case, you filled out the form called Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada [IMM 1294]. If your application is approved, you’ll get an approval letter that says you’re allowed to study in Canada. This letter is called the port of entry letter of introduction.

Once you have this letter, you must leave and ask to get your study permit on return to Canada.

Co-op work permits

If you applied for a co-op work permit as part of your study permit application and you only received your study permit, follow the instructions for how to apply as a co-op student or intern.

If we refuse your application

We’ll send you a letter explaining why.

We may refuse your application if you don’t

If you have questions about why you were refused, contact the visa office that sent you the refusal letter.

Help us improve our services

We’re looking for people to try out our products. Find out how you can participate.

Page details

Date modified: