You need a study permit

Even though you’re physically in Canada, you need to follow the instructions for applying for a study permit from outside Canada.

This means you may need to leave Canada for an interview or to complete other steps of your application.

Your study permit isn’t a visa

If we approve your study permit application, we’ll also automatically give you either

What you get depends on your passport or travel document. This is what allows you to travel to and enter Canada.

If you’re applying to study in Québec

You must also apply for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).

How to get a study permit

Citizens of the United States

You don’t need a visitor visa or an eTA to enter Canada. However, you must carry proper identification.

Lawful permanent residents of the U.S.

As of April 26, 2022, for all methods of travel, you need

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Page details

Date modified: