Apply — Visit on business

Before you plan your visit, you should find out what travel documents you need to enter Canada. If you do not need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, you will still need to meet some specific requirements.

Apply for an eTA

As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

To apply you must have a valid passport, a credit card, and an email address.

Applying for an eTA is an easy online process that will take just a few minutes. It only costs $7 Canadian.

Apply for a visitor visa

You can choose to apply online or through a paper application. If you need assistance, you can get help with your application at your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

If you need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph), and you are applying on paper, please do not mail in your application. Submit your application in person. VAC staff will check that your application is complete and will confirm that you have paid the correct fees before you can give your biometrics.

Apply online for a visa

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from IRCC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from IRCC are being sent, please check your MyCIC account on a regular basis.

Apply on paper for a visa

If you have a valid study or work permit and are planning to leave and return to Canada, you can apply for a new visitor visa before you leave Canada.

1. Get the application package

Your package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible for a temporary resident visa before you apply.

Please note that each individual applicant must submit a completed temporary resident visa application form. Applicants under the age of 18 must have this form signed by a parent or a guardian.

2. Pay your application fees

In most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.

Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.

3. Submit your application

Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).

Select the country/territory you will be applying from to find out where to submit your application. You can choose your country of nationality or the country/territory where you have been legally admitted:

4. Check processing time

How long it takes to process your application varies depending on the visa office where you applied. For more information, see application processing times.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: