Business visitors attending meetings, events and conferences in Canada

Follow these steps to find out what you need and how to apply.

On this page

Step 1: Find out if you’re a business visitor or if you need to apply for a work permit instead

Business visitors are persons who stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks to attend meetings or an event, and can stay for up to 6 months.

To qualify as a business visitor to Canada, you must show that

If you plan to stay for more than 6 months or plan to work in Canada, you may be considered a temporary worker and have to apply for a work permit.

Activities you may conduct as a business visitor include

Under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement, a U S or Mexican national may also take part in other activities, such as research, marketing and general services. For more information, see the Global Affairs Canada website.

Step 2: Find out if you need a visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada

If you qualify as a business visitor, answer a few questions to find out what you may need to apply for, and which documents you’ll need to come to Canada.

Step 3: Check with your meeting, event or conference organizer to get an event code (if applicable)

If you need a visitor visa to travel to Canada and your meeting, event or conference is registered with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), your organizer will provide you with an event code and instructions about how to apply for a visa.

Step 4: Apply for a visa or an eTA if you need one

Step 5: Find out what you need to bring when you travel to Canada

Make sure that you have the following documents when you arrive at the border (don’t pack them in your suitcase):

Minors travelling with you to Canada

Canada has laws and regulations to protect children. Delegates who plan to travel with a child (17 years of age or younger) should consult the entry requirements for minors.

Page details

Date modified: