Extend your work permit – Bridging open work permit
This type of work permit lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application.
You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if:
- you applied for permanent residence
- your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
- you have valid status on your work permit
- you are currently in Canada
You can only qualify if you applied to one of these permanent residence programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Caring for Children Class
- Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class
When you apply, you must:
- select “Open Work Permit” as the type of work permit
- pay the work permit processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.
When you submit your work permit application, include the supporting documents listed in your document checklist and add a copy of your Acknowledgment of Receipt letter.
For Express Entry applications, we will send the letter to your account after we get your application. For other programs, we send you the letter after we check that your application is complete.
Upload these documents using the “Letter of Explanation” entry in your document checklist.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: