Extend or change the conditions on your work permit: How to apply
COVID-19: workers changing jobs or employers
You may not need to wait until your new employer-specific work permit arrives to start a new job or work for a new employer. If you’re eligible, you may start working after you get an approval email.
Ukrainian nationals and their family members in Canada
If you need to apply for a work permit, extend your work permit or remove the job restrictions on it, follow these special instructions.
Your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)
Book your biometrics collection appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays. Find out how to give biometrics.
How to apply
Before you apply, make sure your employer has completed all the required steps.
If you need to leave Canada and plan to return
If your visitor visa expired, you need to apply for a new visitor visa before you’ll be able to travel back to Canada. You don’t automatically get a new visa when you apply to extend or change your work permit.
In most cases, you must apply online to extend or change the conditions on your work permit.
How applying online helps you
- You can make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
- You’ll get a letter (WP-EXT except PGWP) that proves you can keep working under the same conditions as your current work permit.
- You won’t get this if you apply on paper because we won’t know if your application is complete until we review it.
- No courier fees or mail delivery time — we get your application instantly.
- You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
- You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
To apply online, you’ll need:
- a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
- a valid credit or debit card.
If you can’t apply online
You can submit a paper application if either
- you can’t apply online because of a disability
- there’s a problem with the online application
- In some cases, you may be able to apply online if you follow special instructions.
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool
Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you.
Step 4: Know the fees you have to pay
In most cases, your fees will include processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application
We’ll ask you to pay your fees at the end of your application.
Fees for open work permits
If you’re applying for an open work permit, make sure you pay both fees:
- work permit fee ($155)
- open work permit holder fee ($100)
Step 5: Create your online account or sign in
You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: