International Mobility Workers Unit: Help for employers

The International Mobility Workers Unit (IMWU) provides opinions on whether or not you (the employer), and the temporary foreign worker you want to hire are exempt from:

You can request an opinion from the IMWU to find out if an LMIA or work permit exemption applies to your situation. The temporary foreign worker must be:

If the temporary foreign worker does not meet these requirements, you aren’t able to use the IMWU. Instead, the temporary foreign worker must apply for a work permit. The officer who processes the work permit application determines if an LMIA or work permit exemption applies. This happens at the visa office, a port of entry (POE) or a case processing centre.

Request an opinion

To request an opinion from the IMWU, send an email to and include the following:

The IMWU assesses the supporting documents and employment offer to give an opinion on whether or not an LMIA or work permit exemption applies to your situation.

All documents should be scanned and sent by email. The total size of the email can’t be larger than 4 MB.

Processing times

Opinions are issued within 2 weeks (14 calendar days). Opinion requests should be submitted to the IMWU at least 30 days before the date that the temporary foreign worker plans to enter Canada.

Final decision

The border services officer at the POE makes:

The opinion provided by the IMWU may be considered by the border services officer but will not guarantee:


If you have any questions, please contact the IMWU at

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: