International Experience Canada: How the pools work
IEC participants: Requirements for travel to Canada
As an IEC participant, you can only travel to Canada if you have a port of entry letter of introduction and
- you’re fully vaccinated
- you have proof of a valid job offer and can start your job as soon as you complete your quarantine
- Make sure you check the start date on your job offer before you travel.
Find out more about travel, testing, quarantine and borders in Canada.
Normally, your profile will stay in the pool until:
- you receive an Invitation to Apply for a work permit
- we remove all of the profiles from the pool(s) at the end of the season or
- you’re no longer eligible for IEC
We’ll regularly issue invitations to candidates in the IEC pools during the IEC season. Check the schedule to find out:
- when the rounds of invitations for each country and category will start and end
- the number of candidates in the pools and
- your chances of getting an invitation this season
You can submit an IEC profile at any time during the IEC season. As long as you submit your profile before the date of the last round of invitations for your country, you may receive an Invitation to Apply for a work permit.
One IEC profile in multiple pools
You can only have 1 IEC profile at any time. However, you can be eligible for more than 1 IEC pool.
When you complete your profile, we’ll tell you which pools are available to you. You can submit your profile to any of these available pools. For example, you might be eligible to submit your profile to the Working Holiday and Young Professionals pools.
How we issue Invitations to Apply
Invitations to Apply are issued in the following order:
- International Co-op (Internship)
- Young Professionals
- Working Holiday
If your profile is in an International Co-op (Internship) pool and Working Holiday pool, you’ll receive an Invitation to Apply for an International Co-op category. You’ll only receive an Invitation to Apply for a Working Holiday work permit if there are no spots left in the International Co-op (Internship) category.
Get your supporting documents ready
You won’t automatically get a work permit, if you receive an Invitation to Apply.
To get a work permit, you’ll have to:
If you’re in an IEC pool, you should start getting any supporting documents you may need for your work permit application. Some documents may take several months to get. You could get an Invitation to Apply at any time, and you’ll have limited time to submit your work permit application and documents.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: