International Experience Canada: After you apply
Processing your application
We’ll check your application to make sure you have all the necessary documents. If it’s complete and you need to give biometrics, we’ll send you a letter that tells you so.
If it’s incomplete, we’ll return your application without processing it.
We may also ask you to:
- go to an interview with our officials in your country, or
- to send more information.
If you don’t need to give biometrics, we can begin reviewing your application once you submit your work permit application (including all required documents).
Processing time is the average for how long it takes from when an application is received to when we make a decision. Learn more about processing times.
If you submitted proof of an appointment for your medical examination or a receipt for your police certificate request, you must provide copies of these documents when we ask for them.
We’ll also check that:
- you qualify for a work permit,
- you’ve provided all the required documents, and
- the employer is allowed to hire you (specific to Young Professionals and International Co-op applicants).
It can take up to 8 weeks for your work permit application to be reviewed.
Wait until your application is approved before you
- buy a plane ticket for any travel to Canada
- buy health insurance for your stay in Canada
- make commitments to your prospective employer in Canada
- commit to any accommodation in Canada
- cancel your accommodation or leave your job or studies in your home country
If your application is approved
If your application is approved, you’ll receive a port of entry (POE) letter in your account. The letter does not guarantee entry into Canada or guarantee a work permit.
To get your IEC work permit you must:
- Bring your POE letter with you to Canada and show it to a border services officer at the port of entry (airport, land border, etc.)
- Show your letter at a Canadian port of entry on or before the expiry date (the expiry date will be clearly marked on your letter)
Note: The expiry date of the POE letter cannot be changed or extended under any circumstance. You cannot transfer your letter to any other person or name. If the expiry date on your POE letter has passed and you haven’t come to Canada, this will count as an IEC participation. If you’re eligible for another participation, you must create a new profile.
If your application is refused
You‘ll receive a letter of explanation in your account.
How to withdraw your application
You can withdraw your application and receive a refund if we haven’t issued you your POE letter.
To withdraw your application,
- contact us using the Web form; and
- in the “your enquiry” box, include “IEC work permit application withdrawal – your application ID number” (e.g., “IEC work permit application withdrawal – W123456789”).
We’ll review your request within three to five business days. If it’s approved, you’ll be refunded your
- IEC participation fee, and
- open work permit fee (Working Holiday applicants only).
If your employer paid the employer compliance fee of CAN$230, they’ll also receive a refund.
You don’t have to do anything else to get your refund. Normally, you’ll receive it within eight weeks. Your refund will be issued to the credit card used to pay the fees.
Keep your prepaid credit card for at least 18 months after you pay in case you need a refund.
If we can’t refund your payment to your credit card, we will issue a cheque.
You will not receive a refund if we learn that you misrepresented yourself (gave false information or left out important details).
If you’ve already received your POE letter
You can’t get a refund or withdraw your application.
The only exception is for Young Professionals and International Co-op (Internship) participants whose employer withdraws the offer of employment before they travel to Canada. If your employer withdraws your offer of employment, we’ll refuse your application.
We’ll refund you your IEC participation fee. Your employer will also be refunded the employer compliance fee. You don’t have to do anything else to get your refund.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: