Application process at a glance – International Experience Canada
The International Experience Canada (IEC) application process involves various steps. The graphic “International Experience Canada Online Application Process” is an overview of the steps you need to take to apply for IEC.
Text version: International Experience Canada Online Application Process
IEC Eligibility criteria
- Complete the Come to Canada questionnaire and get your personal reference code.
- Create your Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) account. Select “Apply to come to Canada” and use your personal reference code to begin your application.
Profile Submission and work permit application
- Submit your profile and choose the IEC pools you want to be in.
- If you receive an invitation to apply via your account, you’ll have 10 days to start your application.
- Once you start your work permit application, you have 20 days to complete and submit it, and pay the appropriate fee.
Applies to Young Professional and Co-op categories only
- During that 20-day period, your employer needs to pay the CAD$230 employer compliance fee through the Employer Portal.
- Once the fee is paid, your employer should send you an offer of employment number. You need this to apply for your work permit.
- Upload all supporting documents, including police and medical exam certificates, if applicable.Footnote *
- Pay your participation fee of CAD$156 with a credit card online through your IRCC account. Other fees may include a CAD$85 biometrics fee and CAD$100 Working Holiday open work permit holder fee.
- If required, you will be sent a biometric instruction letter via your IRCC account after you submit your application. You will have 30 days upon receipt of the instruction letter to submit your biometrics at a Visa Application Centre (VAC).Footnote ** For more information, visit Canada.ca/biometrics.
IEC work permit assessment
- The work permit application assessment may take up to 56 days. We may ask you to provide additional documents.
- This is your last chance to withdraw from IEC and obtain refunds (participation fee, open work permit holder fee, employer compliance fee).
- IRCC will send a Port of Entry Letter to your account. Bring this letter with you to Canada.
- Before you travel, you will need to be aware of quarantine measures for COVID-19 and download the ArriveCAN app to provide mandatory travel information.Footnote ***
Time to pack and go!
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: