Current and former post-graduation work permit holders: How to apply under a public policy if you’re in Canada

You must apply online for this open work permit on or before December 31, 2022.

You cannot apply at a port of entry.

You can only get this open work permit once, and it cannot be extended.

Who can apply

To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

If you applied under a previous public policy for PGWP holders

Depending on when your original PGWP expired, you may also be eligible for this public policy.

If your original PGWP expired on or after September 20, 2021

You can apply under this public policy.

If your original PGWP expired before September 20, 2021

You cannot apply under this public policy. If you want to work in Canada, you need to apply for another work permit.

If you’re a representative

If you’re applying for a client, you can use the Authorized Paid Representatives Portal to apply for an open work permit under this public policy. To apply

  • Use the form Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker.
  • Attach a letter explaining that you’re applying under the open work permit public policy for former or current PGWP holders.

Step 1: Make sure you have what you need

To apply online, you need

Step 2: Read the instruction guide

Read the instruction guide before you complete your application.

Once you get your document checklist, fill out the application form.

The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.

Special instructions for this public policy

When you fill out the work permit application form

Venezuelan passport holders

You may need to complete extra steps when you fill out your application.

Step 3: Pay your fees

You’re exempt from paying the open work permit holder fee (CAN$100). Don’t pay this fee.

You must pay the work permit processing fee (CAN$155).

Because you’re exempt from paying one of the fees (open work permit holder fee), you need to pay your fees before you apply online.

How to pay your fees if you have valid temporary resident status

  • Go to fees for temporary residence applications.
  • Scroll down to the row for workers.
  • Select “Work permit (including extensions) – per person”.
    • Enter the number of applications you’re paying for.
      • If you’re applying for just your own work permit, enter “1”.

The system will calculate the total amount you need to pay when you click “Submit”.

How to pay your fees if you need to restore your status

  • Go to fees for temporary residence applications.
  • Scroll down to the row for your previous status (for example “Workers” if your work permit has expired)
  • Select “Restore your status as a worker”.
    • Enter the number of applications you’re paying for.
      • If you’re applying for just your own work permit, enter “1”.

Keep your receipt

After you pay your fee, keep a copy of the receipt. You’ll need to upload it when you apply online for your work permit.

COVID-19: Changes to biometrics requirement for in-Canada temporary residence applicants

For now, if you’re in Canada and applying to work, study or stay temporarily in Canada, you do not need to give your biometrics. Learn more about the exemption.

Step 4: Create your online account or sign in

You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to

How to start your application

Once you sign in to your account, you’ll need to

Get your document checklist

You must answer some questions to create a personalized document checklist.

Make sure you answer these questions correctly.
  • You would like to work temporarily.
    • Answer either less than or more than 6 months.
  • You must select “worker” as your current immigration status.
  • When asked “When does your status in Canada expire?” enter the date that your status expires or expired.
    • If your status is still valid or expired less than 90 days ago, please enter the true expiry date.
    • If your status expired more than 90 days ago, choose any date that is within the past 90 days. (This is a temporary workaround to allow you to apply past the 90 day deadline.)
  • Answer “yes” when asked the following question:

Does one of the following apply to you:

  • I am subject to a removal order that is unenforceable
  • I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry
  • I am in primary or secondary school, or a visiting or exchange student, in Canada with visitor status
  • I am applying for an open work permit under an active public policy or pilot program announced by IRCC
  • I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in Canada
  • I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes:
    • Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada
    • Humanitarian and Compassionate cases
    • Protected Persons in Canada
    • Live-in Caregiver in Canada
  • Answer “No, I am exempt from paying fees for the application” to the question There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?

Upload the correct documents

You need to include the documents listed in your application, including

Check your email for an interim work authorization

During the week of August 8, we’ll email some current and former PGWP holders a letter. If you’re in Canada, you can use this letter to start working right away or to continue working until May 31, 2023. Find out more about this letter.

Create an account or sign in

If you can’t apply online

You can submit a paper application if either

  • you can’t apply online because of a disability
  • there’s a problem with the online application

What to do if you have problems applying online.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: