How to opt in to a simplified process to get a post-graduation work permit

You may qualify for a special measure that makes it easier and faster for you to get an open work permit. If you’re eligible, we’ll email you an invitation to opt in to this process.

You must opt in through your IRCC secure account before May 20, 2023. Be sure to opt in before your work permit expires.

In most cases, we’ll mail you a new work permit by the end of June 2023. There are no fees for this work permit.

Opt in period begins April 6, 2023

What you need to do

  1. Check your email, including your junk folder, for messages from an email address that ends in or
  2. Review the conditions in the letter and make sure they apply to you:
    1. You reside in Canada.
    2. The mailing address on the letter is correct.
    3. Your passport information is up to date and has an expiration date of June 2025 or later.
  3. Log in to your IRCC secure account.
  4. Scroll down to “Start an application” and select Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional 18 months) .
  5. Select opt in to stay and work in Canada for up to an additional 18 months from the date this extension is approved.
    • For example, if your PGWP expires in 4 months and your extension is approved, you can expect to get an additional 14 months, for a total of 18 months, for no additional fee.

How long it will take to get the work permit

You should get your work permit at your mailing address by the end of June 2023.

How to apply for a work permit if you don’t opt in

If you don’t opt in before your work permit expires or you’re not eligible to opt in, you must apply for a work permit.

If you have questions about these measures

Check if any of the scenarios below apply to you. If you can’t find an answer to your question below, you can contact us using the web form.

If you don’t see the option to extend your PGWP in your IRCC secure account

You need to link to your most recent PGWP application to your account before May 20, 2023. After you’ve linked your application

  1. sign out
  2. clear your cache
  3. refresh the page
  4. sign into your account again

You should see Post-graduation work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (up to an additional 18 months) under “Start an application.”

If you opted in to the simplified process and you don’t get an extended work permit by July 31, 2023

If you’re in Canada and still want a work permit, you can still apply for one under the public policy by submitting a new work permit application.

If your PGWP expires before your new work permit arrives

During the week of April 3, we’ll email you an interim work authorization that allows you to work in Canada until May 31, 2024. Find more information about this interim work authorization.

If you received a work permit under a previous PGWP public policy

You can get a work permit under the 2023 PGWP public policy, even if you applied under a previous public policy, as long as your original post-graduate work permit expired on or after September 20, 2021, and on or before December 31, 2023.

If your original PGWP expired before September 20, 2021

You can’t apply under this public policy. If you want to work in Canada, you need to apply for another work permit.

If you don’t want a work permit

Don’t opt in for the extended work permit or submit an application for a new open work permit under the public policy.

If you need a new social insurance number

To get or renew your social insurance number (SIN), you need to provide a digital copy of your work permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You cannot use your interim work authorization to get your SIN.

Once you receive your work permit, apply online for your SIN

Page details

Date modified: