Find out if you need a work permit

Which option best describes you?

Not sure what to choose? Maybe these definitions will help.

Main or principal applicant

If you’re applying by yourself and nobody will come with you to Canada, you’re the principal applicant.

When a family applies together, one member must be the main or “principal” applicant. For example, if you’re applying for a work permit and you’ll bring your spouse and child with you, you are the principal applicant.

Immediate family member

These are the closest relatives to the principal applicant. They are the principal applicant’s

  • spouse or common-law partner
    • A common-law partner is a person who has been living with another person in a conjugal relationship for at least 1 year. The term refers to opposite-gender and same-gender relationships.
  • dependent children
  • dependent children of their dependent children

Why we ask about your immediate family

An immediate family member of another applicant or permit holder may be eligible for their own work permit.

Someone working or studying temporarily in Canada

This could be someone who

  • has a work or study permit
  • has been approved to work or study in Canada but has not yet been issued their work or study permit
  • is allowed to work or study without a work or study permit

Page details

Date modified: