Blueprint 2020 and public service renewal
Blueprint 2020 is a vision for a world-class Public Service equipped to serve Canada and Canadians now and into the future.
With around a quarter-million employees, the Public Service of Canada is the largest employer in the country. We work across more than a hundred departments and agencies, delivering important services to Canadians – from providing old age security and employment insurance benefits to protecting Canadian sovereignty to helping families save for higher education. We are responsible for regulating the safety of food and drugs, undertaking research and development to protect our shared environment, promoting Canada’s national interests around the world, and developing economic, trade and energy policies, among many other duties. We make a difference in the lives of Canadians every day. To ensure continued excellence in public service requires us to always ask how we can improve both our performance and our value to Canadians. The Blueprint 2020 initiative was devised to help us ask these questions, and to allow us to build tomorrow’s Public Service together.
Since , tens of thousands of public servants have shared their views on what it takes to ensure public service excellence. This input is redefining how we work and is making engagement part of our shared culture.
By making a space to discuss our passion for public service and to act on our ideas for improvement, we are now well on our way to turning vision into reality. Building the Public Service of the future is a process that requires us all to commit to action, and to dedicate the time and effort necessary to see it through. We are all personally accountable for bringing about real change and realizing our ambitious goals.
For some examples of innovations that have arisen as a result of engaged employees working together to deliver results for Canadians, please check out the Clerk of the Privy Council’s latest Annual Report to the Prime Minister on the Public Service of Canada.
Blueprint 2020 Principles:
The Blueprint 2020 vision is guided by four principles, as outlined in the document Blueprint 2020: Getting Started – Getting Your Views, that help examine how work is done in the federal Public Service:
- An open and networked environment that engages citizens and partners for the public good.
- A whole-of-government approach that enhances service delivery and value for money.
- A modern workplace that makes smart use of new technologies to improve networking, access to data and customer service.
- A capable, confident and high-performing workforce that embraces new ways of working and mobilizes the diversity of talent to serve the country’s evolving needs.
There have been several Blueprint 2020-related publications released across the Public Service:
- Twenty-Fourth Annual Report to the Prime Minister on the Public Service of Canada
- Twenty-Third Annual Report to the Prime Minister on the Public Service of Canada
Reports from the Clerk of the Privy Council to the Prime Minister, highlighting progress towards implementing the Blueprint 2020 vision.
- Destination 2020
Report highlighting some of the ideas generated through engagement, confirming that continued engagement is the way forward, and setting out 15 horizontal initiatives to be undertaken across the Public Service. The 15 initiatives were chosen from among the ideas generated by public servants based on their relevance to the vision and to public servants, stakeholder support, impact and expected results, and feasibility. The title of the report was crowdsourced by public servants.
- What We’ve Heard: Summary Interim Progress Report on Blueprint 2020
Report outlining the feedback received from early employee engagement.
- Blueprint 2020: Getting Started – Getting Your Views
Original consultation document asking public servants what the vision meant to them, what was needed to make the vision a reality and what they could do to help achieve the vision.
For more information:
- Read an account of the origins and first two years of the initiative in Blueprint 2020: Building Tomorrow’s Public Service Together or
- Contact the Blueprint 2020 National Secretariat at: Blueprint2020@canada.ca.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: