About List C: Veterinary health products
List C is a list of permitted active, homeopathic and traditional medicine substances that are used to make a Veterinary Health Product (VHP). It also includes important conditions. VHPs are low risk drugs in dosage form used to maintain or promote the health and welfare of companion and food-producing animals. They are not for use to treat, prevent or cure disease.
List C conditions include, for example:
Route of Administration:
- VHPs can be given orally (for example, in water or in bolus form), topically, and by an otic (in the ear) route. At this time, the Feeds Regulations do not allow for the addition of VHPs to feeds.
- The species can be a companion (pet) and/or a food-producing animal.
Mandatory Label Statements:
- All VHP labels must state, "Veterinary Health Product / Produit de santé animale". Other statements may be required depending on the ingredients. For example, "Do not use in pregnant or lactating animals."
- Certain qualifiers are applied to some active ingredients. For example, "When included in concentrations not greater than 10% of the topical formulation."
Changes to List C
Follow the "How to get started" section of the "Veterinary Health Products - Notification Program" to:
- make a request to add a new substance to List C, or
- to modify an existing listing
Health Canada will review the request and determine if there is enough information to:
- add a new substance to List C or
- modify an existing listing
Changes to List C are reflected on the List and include an effective date. Interested parties may provide comments on the decision.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: