Help for income tax service providers
Assisting you with your tax questions
If you are a small or medium income tax service provider, you can get free help with your technical income tax questions over the telephone.
The Dedicated Telephone Service (DTS) for income tax service providers is designed to help you find the information you need to interpret the provisions of the Income Tax Act.
A DTS officer will research your question about the Act and then provide you with relevant CRA guidance and technical information.
You will generally receive this information within three business days, depending on the complexity of the tax issue. After you’ve had an opportunity to review the information provided, you can ask the DTS officer to discuss the guidance with you.
Need help with individual taxpayer accounts?
The DTS is focused on helping you navigate interpretations of the Income Tax Act and is not meant to replace the already comprehensive services available to deal with questions of an administrative nature, which include:
- updating a taxpayer's personal account information;
- providing individual taxpayer account balances and payment information;
- explaining how to fill out forms or returns; and
- providing the status on the processing of a benefit, credit, return or form.
If you have a question related to these topics, please see our contact information to find the right phone number for your question. You can also access your client's tax information using the Represent a Client service.
- For questions regarding the GST/HST, call 1-800-959-8287 (If the physical location of your business is in Quebec, contact Revenu Québec, at 1-800-567-4692).
- For information on how to obtain an advance income tax ruling or technical interpretation, see Income tax rulings and interpretations.
Did you know?
- The service is open to both Chartered Professional Accountants (CPAs) and non-CPAs, including bookkeepers, lawyers, and other tax practitioners.
- After a successful three-year pilot, the DTS is now a permanent CRA program available to small and medium income tax service providers across Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: