Step 2 – Make an access to information or personal information request

If you cannot get the information you are looking for through the CRA’s services, make a request through the Access to Information Act or Privacy Act. There is a $5 fee for requests under the Access to Information Act. There is no fee for requests for personal information under the Privacy Act.

Are you eligible?

To make a request, you must be one of the following:

  • a Canadian citizen
  • a permanent resident of Canada
  • an individual or corporation currently in Canada

What you need to provide to make a request

  • your social insurance number (only for requests that concern your taxes)
  • a description of the information you want; give enough detail so that an experienced employee of the CRA can identify the information
  • date range, if applicable (for example, "I would like copies of my tax records for the 2012 to 2014 tax years.”)
  • supporting documents for identity verification, authorization, and cross consent if applicable
    • for personal information (individuals and sole proprietors) – you must include a copy of valid government-issued photo identification (for example, a valid driver’s license, valid passport)
    • authorization to represent the requester (representative) – if you are submitting this request on behalf of someone else, you must include written authorization or other proof that you have legal authority to receive the information (for example, power of attorney, legal guardian)
    • deceased individuals – you must provide proof that you are entitled to receive the information (for example, a copy of the will or a document that shows you are the court appointed administrator of an estate) and a copy of your valid government-issued photo identification
    • partnerships – you must include valid government-issued photo identification from at least one authorized partner
    • corporations – you must include a current (within the last 30 days) corporate summary profile from the provincial/federal corporate registry, which confirms that the individual making the request is authorized to receive the information about the corporation. As well, the request must be signed by an appointed officer/director which appears on the corporate registry
    • cross consent – you may obtain written cross consent from any individual or entity that you believe may appear in your file.  This cross consent would allow the release of the other taxpayers’ or corporate information to you if it is held in your file, so you receive more complete records.  It must be signed by the person giving consent and dated within the last 30 days
  • $5 application fee for access to information requests:
    • by cheque or money order, payable to the “Receiver General for Canada,” when you submit your request by mail
    • by Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card when you send your request online

Additional information you need to provide for business-related requests

  • business name, if applicable
  • business number, if applicable
  • a corporate profile report and authorization by an appointed officer/director which appears on the corporate registry dated within the last 30 days, if applicable
  • the name of the specific account(s) for which you are seeking information, for example: corporate [RC], GST [RT], payroll [RP]


  • You don't have to give a reason for making information requests, although an explanation might help our staff find the material you want.
  • When you request information, your identity is protected under the Privacy Act.
  • If the records you want are likely to include the personal information of other individuals, we recommend that you provide their consent, signed and dated within the last 30 days, to authorize the CRA to release their personal information to you.

Ways to make a request


Apply online using the ATIP online request service. This service is a fast, easy and convenient way to make an access to information and personal information request. Make sure to include everything listed under What you need to provide to make a request in your application.

By mail

Send everything listed under What you need to provide to make a request in your letter or completed Form RC378, Access to Information and Personal Information Request Form to the following address:

Director, ATIP Directorate
Canada Revenue Agency
555 MacKenzie Avenue, 5th Floor
Ottawa ON  K1A 0L5 

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: