Welcome veterans and Canadian Armed Forces members
The CRA is proud to support the Veterans Hiring Act (VHA). The VHA allows veterans and current-serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) to continue serving Canadians by giving them access to employment opportunities within the federal public service. The CRA is committed to recognizing the contribution that you made to our country by providing you the opportunity to apply on internal CRA staffing processes.
On November 13, 2017 we enhanced the Careers candidate profile to make it easier for veterans to self-identify. If you are a current or former member of the CAF, enter your service number in your profile so that, in co-operation with the Department of National Defence and the Public Service Commission, we can instantly verify if you qualify to benefit from the VHA. We will verify your VHA qualification status again, each time you access your candidate profile. Do not enter your social insurance number in your profile.
If you were released from the CAF for medical reasons related to your service and you are not permanently employed at the CRA or in the federal public service, you may be given priority for appointment with the CRA, known as preferred status. This means that if you meet the essential staffing requirements for a CRA job, you must be hired ahead of other qualified candidates.
If you have been given statutory priority with the federal public service, you are also entitled to preferred status with the CRA.
Veterans who have been released for medical reasons related to their service will receive an email with a letter giving them preferred status with the CRA; this preferred status is valid for up to five years.
If you are a veteran with at least three years of service who was honourably released from the CAF, you qualify for a preference for appointment for jobs open to the general public. Your preference is in effect for up to five years after your release. You will receive preference for appointment after individuals with preferred status are considered. This means you must be hired ahead of other Canadians if you applied and are found qualified for a job open to the public, and you are not already permanently employed at the CRA or in the federal public service.
If you are a veteran or a current-serving member of the CAF with at least three years of service and you are not already permanently employed at the CRA or in the federal public service, you have a mobility entitlement with the CRA. This means that you can apply to jobs open to CRA employees and federal public service employees. You can apply to these internal jobs regardless of what it says in the “Who can apply” section of the job advertisement, but, you must meet any employment equity criteria that are included in that section.
If you have questions about the above three entitlements, please send an email to VHA-Preferred Status-Nat / LEAC-Statut privilégié-Nat (CRA/ARC).
For more information about being given priority and transitioning to civilian life, you can also contact:
Frequently asked questions
As an eligible veteran or member of the Canadian Forces, what do you need to send in when you apply?
- send in a completed application by the deadline on the notice of job opportunity outlining how you meet the job requirements
- include documents confirming your eligibility (such as your Member’s Personnel Record Résumé or other official document)
If you are a veteran with preferred status, will you be given priority for all jobs?
Yes, preferred status applies to all jobs. However, for some staffing actions, such as extending a term appointment, a manager may not have to give appointment priority.
How can you get an updated copy of your Member's Personnel Record Resume?
You can request your Member’s Personnel Record Resume (MPRR) by contacting one of the following addresses. In all cases, make sure you provide this information in your email:
- service number
- rank and full name (as it was when you were released from the Canadian Forces)
- date of birth
1. For Canadian Forces (CF) veterans who have been released within the last five years: contact Director Casualty Support Management (DCSM) to request a copy of your MPRR by sending an email to DCSM-DGSB@forces.gc.ca
2. For Supplementary Reserve: you may send you request for an MPRR to DND.SuppRes-ResSupp.MDN@forces.gc.ca, or telephone 613-995-0793. DCSM will not provide MPRRs for members still in the Supp Res.
3. For CF veterans who have been released for more than five years: to obtain a copy of your MPRR or any other CF personal information or documentation, you must request it through Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP). Please use the following link for DND ATIP requests: Request forms.
4. For serving CF members (Reg F, P Res, COATS, Cdn Rgrs, or Supp Res): you should contact your own administrative resources (Unit Orderly Room or equivalent) to ask for a copy of your MPRR. DCSM will not provide MPRRs for members still in service.
Are veterans and Canadian Forces members entitled to relocation at the CRA?
No, the CRA Relocation Policy does not apply to veterans or members of the Canadian Forces. However, National Defence may allow you one final relocation. If you are unsure whether you are entitled to a relocation, please contact the CAF Release Section that administered your release process.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: