Tax-filing season promotional kit

Tax tips
  1. What’s new this tax-filing season
  2. What’s new for tax professionals and tax preparers this tax-filing season
  3. Doing your taxes online makes it easier to file on time
  4. Eight things to remember at tax time
  5. Top questions the CRA gets at tax time
  6. It’s tax time! Don’t panic: there’s free tax help
  7. Auto-fill my return makes doing your taxes easier
  8. So you’ve filed your 2017 tax return, now what?
  9. Don’t get scammed! Beware of fraudsters claiming to be from the Canada Revenue Agency
  10. Did you donate to a charity? You may be able to claim a charitable donation tax credit
  11. Did you know you may be eligible to claim medical expenses?
  12. Students: here’s what you need to know this tax season
  13. New to Canada? Learn about taxes and benefits
  14. Benefits and credits for northern residents
  15. Do you paper file your taxes? Here’s how to get an income tax and benefit package
  16. New parent? Learn about tax breaks and benefits for your family
  17. What to do when a loved one dies
  18. Seniors: Ready to do your taxes? Make sure you’re receiving your benefits and credits!
  19. Income tax information you need to know if you bought or sold a home
  20. Two accounts, one password
  21. Need help doing your taxes? Get them done for you, for free!
Audio clips

Filing deadline


It’s tax time!

The deadline for most Canadians to do their taxes is April 30.

If you’re self-employed, or your spouse or common-law partner is, you have until June 15, to file your taxes. But remember, any balance owing is still due by April 30.

For more information about doing your taxes this year, go to



When you file your return, make sure to keep receipts and documents to support your claims.

Sometimes we need to review tax returns to make sure that income, deductions and credits are correctly reported. In case the Canada Revenue Agency asks to see them, you should keep your receipts and documents for at least six years. Keeping records on hand makes it easier for you to respond to these requests.

For more information about doing your taxes this year, go to

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program


Did you know you may be able to get free help to file your income tax and benefit return?

Volunteers with the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program help people with modest incomes and simple tax situations file their returns. In Quebec, it’s called the Volunteer Program.

Last year, more than 15,000 volunteers prepared more than 760,000 returns for people in communities across the country.

Volunteer tax preparation clinics are generally offered from February to April each year, but some are open year-round. Use the MyCRA mobile web app at or go to to find a tax clinic near you.

Volunteer Program (Québec)


The Volunteer Program is a partnership between the Canada Revenue Agency and Revenu Québec that helps eligible people who have a modest income and a simple tax situation complete their income tax and benefit return.

Last year, more than 3000 volunteers and 535 organizations helped over 160,000 people in Quebec do their taxes.

To learn more or to become a volunteer, go to



All taxpayers should beware of fraudulent phone calls and emails that claim to be from the Canada Revenue Agency but aren’t. Phishing and other scams could result in financial and identity theft.

The Canada Revenue Agency will never:

  • use nasty language or threaten you;
  • ask for your credit card information or for you to make a payment using prepaid credit or gift cards; or
  • request or communicate taxpayer information by email.
To learn more about avoiding and reporting fraud and scams, go to

Account Alerts


The CRA’s Account alerts is a fraud prevention service that notifies you by email when your direct deposit or address information has been changed. We’ll also send you an email if paper mail that we sent to you gets returned to us, so you’ll know that you may need to update your mailing address.

Account alerts will also let you know when a representative is added or removed from your account.

Sign up for Account alerts in My Account at or use MyCRA mobile web app at

My Account


Save time with the Canada Revenue Agency’s My Account digital service. Sign up today at

If you're already registered for My Account, you can use the Auto-fill my return to automatically fill in certain parts of your return when using most certified tax software.



It's so easy to pay your taxes using online or telephone banking services, the same way you pay your phone or utility bill.

You get immediate confirmation of your payment. It's a fast, convenient and secure way of making a payment at any time, from anywhere.

Prefer handing your payment to a person? You can now generate a personalized payment code online and bring it to any post office in Canada to pay with cash or debit.

Find out more at

The CRA can help/Get Ready


It's tax time! Everything you need to do your taxes this year is online at

You’ll find useful information, forms, and guides to help you do your taxes, claim benefits, and pay any tax owing on time.

Since its tax time, the Canada Revenue Agency also offers extended evening and Saturday telephone service from February 20 until May 1, 2018. If you can't find the information you're looking for online, call 1-800-959-8281.

Auto-fill my return


If you're registered with the Canada Revenue Agency’s My Account, you can use Auto-fill my return to file your return online faster than before.

Auto-fill my return automatically fills in certain parts of your return, saving you time and reducing possible errors when doing your taxes.

To learn more, go to

Express NOA


Getting the refund you expected? Sure you don’t owe money to the CRA? Find out right away by getting an Express Notice of Assessment from the CRA.

If you file your return electronically and are registered for online mail, you can now receive an Express Notice of Assessment.

An Express Notice of Assessment will be delivered through your tax software immediately after you file your return with NETFILE-certified software.

To learn more, go to

Mobile apps


The Canada Revenue Agency has mobile web apps to help you manage your tax and benefit information whenever you want, from your mobile device.

The MyCRA mobile web app lets you view important tax and benefit information, such as your notice of assessment and return status. You can also make changes to your address, phone number, and direct deposit information.

The MyBenefits CRA mobile web app gives you personalized benefit information, such as your next payment dates and amounts. You can also update your marital status and check the status of your Canada child benefit application.

To learn more, go to

Direct deposit


Direct deposit is a fast, convenient, reliable, and secure way to get payments directly into your account at a financial institution in Canada. 

In most cases, if you file your return online and are signed up for direct deposit, you can receive your refund in as little as eight business days.

To learn more, go to

NETFILE software


Did you know there is free certified tax software that you can use to file your income tax and benefit return online?

Filing online is fast, easy, and secure. To save you time and money, the CRA publishes a list of certified tax software packages, some of which are FREE for everyone.

To view the list of certified software, go to

Canada Child Benefit


The Canada child benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age.

The CRA uses information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate how much your Canada child benefit payments will be.

To get the Canada child benefit, you have to do your taxes every year, even if you didn’t earn income in the year or if your income is tax-exempt. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to do their taxes every year. To learn more, go to

GST/HST Credit


The GST/HST credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low or modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay.

You don’t have to apply for the GST/HST credit. The CRA will automatically determine if you’re eligible when you do your taxes. So file a return this year, even if you have no income to declare.

Go to to learn more.

Save money at tax time


You may be able to claim a number of deductions and credits to increase your refund or reduce the amount of tax you owe.

Child care expenses, medical expenses, and eligible moving expenses are just a few examples.

Take advantage of these and other deductions and credits available to taxpayers. Find out more at

Canada caregiver credit


Are you supporting someone who is dependent on you due to a mental or physical infirmity? The new Canada caregiver amount is available to those supporting their spouse or common-law partner, child or other eligible relatives, even if the dependent person does not live with them.

Learn more about this and other deductions and credits available to taxpayers at tax time. Go to

Medical Expenses tax credit


Did you have medical expenses? You may be able to save on your taxes.

If you paid for hospital services or medications in order to conceive a child, paid to live in a nursing home, or bought medical supplies such as pacemakers, vaccines, or walking aids, you may be able to claim the medical expenses tax credit to reduce the amount of federal tax you owe.

Medical expenses paid for yourself, your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children (if they were born in 1998 or later), and other dependants may be eligible.

Learn more about this and other deductions and credits available to taxpayers at tax time. Go to

Tuition credit


Do you qualify for the tuition amount?

The eligibility criteria for the tuition amount has been enhanced under certain conditions to include fees paid for occupational skills courses that are not at the post-secondary level.

Learn more about this and other deductions and credits available to taxpayers at tax time. Go to

Moving expenses


Did you move to work or run a business in a new location? Or did you move to attend a post-secondary program at a university, college or other educational institution full time?

If your new home is at least 40 kilometres closer to your new work or school, keep your receipts! You may be able to claim your moving expenses on your return and save money.

Learn more about this and other deductions and credits available to taxpayers at tax time. Go to

Doing your taxes


Not sure where to start when doing your taxes? The Canada Revenue Agency is making it easier than ever to file your return.

Just go to the and follow the step-by-step guide on how to file your return.

Doing your taxes is the key to keep getting your benefit payments – don’t miss out!

Change my direct deposit


Need to update your direct deposit information for CRA payments?

Go to your CRA My Account at or use MyCRA mobile web app at to update your direct deposit information, and update your CPP payment information at the same time!

Report all income


When you file your return this year, don’t forget that money earned through other sources of income such as tips, renting out a basement suite, or ride sharing is all considered income. Not declaring it can lead to penalties and interest.

Learn more at

A second chance to correct your taxes


The Voluntary Disclosures Program gives you a second chance to change a return you previously filed or to file a return that you should have filed. To apply, go to



Want to make a change to your tax return?

If you filed your return electronically, you can now use the ReFILE service. Simply use your tax software, make the changes and instantly submit your revisions.

It is quick, cost efficient, environmentally friendly and simple to use.

To learn more, go to

Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)


If you currently receive the guaranteed income supplement, remember to file your income tax and benefit return on time every year so your payment will be automatically renewed.

For information on how to apply, go to

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: