So you’ve filed your 2017 tax return, now what?

After you file your 2017 return, there are a few more things you can do.

Check the status of your refund

If you’re expecting a refund, there are two ways to check where it’s at:

If you file online and are registered for online mail, you could get your notice of assessment (NOA) shortly after you file your tax return using the Express NOA service.

If you file online and sign up for direct deposit, you could get your refund in as little as eight business days. Direct deposit is fast, convenient and secure. New enrolment options are available for TD Canada Trust customers and Desjardins members.

Make your payments

If you owe any taxes for 2017, there are four ways you can make a payment right away:

Even if you can't pay your taxes right away, you should still file your return on time to avoid a late-filing penalty. You may be able to make a payment arrangement with the CRA by:

Do you need to make a change to your return?

If you forgot to include information or made a mistake on your tax return, wait until you get your notice of assessment from the CRA. Then, you can change your return.

You can conveniently change your individual return online with ReFILE, the CRA’s new service available in most certified tax software packages.

Keep your receipts and records

Keep your income tax records and any supporting documents for six years after the last tax year they relate to in case the CRA reviews your return. To support a deduction or credit you claimed, the CRA may ask for documents other than official receipts, such as cancelled cheques or bank statements. 

Keep your information up to date with the CRA

To make sure you are getting the right amount of benefits and credits, you must keep your personal information updated with the CRA. This includes your marital status, the number of children in your care, and your address.

Keep watching your email for notifications from the CRA

If you’ve registered for online mail, the CRA will send you notifications by email telling you when you have mail.  You should go to My Account to view your online mail.  If you haven’t registered for My Account, you should do so right away or you won’t be able to view your online mail.  The CRA will put important notices, letters, and questionnaires into My Account for you to view.

If you receive a letter telling you your income tax return is being reviewed, don’t panic.  In most cases, it’s simply a routine check. It’s important that you reply and send all of the information requested as soon as possible. This will help the CRA review your file quickly and easily.

If you can’t get the documents we’re asking for or if you need more time to reply, it’s important that you call the number in your letter. We can give you more time to respond if you need it, and we can help you if you have any questions. If you don’t reply, your claim may be disallowed.


Most income tax and benefit returns for 2017 are due on April 30, 2018. You and, if applicable, your spouse or common‑law partner, need to do your taxes on time every year to continue getting your benefit payments, even if your income is tax exempt or you had no income at all. The CRA uses the information from your tax return to calculate your federal benefit and credit payments, and any related provincial or territorial payments.

Self-employed individuals and their spouses or common‑law partners have until June 15, 2018, to file their income tax and benefit returns, but they still have to pay any taxes owing on or before April 30, 2018.


Page details

Date modified: