Taxes 101: Students earn “extra credits” this term!

Some hyperlinks may not work.

Information on how to file a tax return for this tax year can still be found in the relevant year tax package.

Did you know?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has tax credits, deductions, and benefits to help students. Make sure you claim those you are eligible for when you file your income tax and benefit return. Even if you have little or no income, you should still file your income tax return to claim eligible credits and benefits.

Want to learn more about the benefits of filing a tax return? Check out our two videos designed to help you put cash back in your pocket this filing season: Filing your Tax Return and Filing by Yourself

Important facts

Here are the top savings for students at tax time:

You may be able to transfer the unused amount to a parent, grandparent, or to the parent or grandparent of your spouse or common-law partner.

If you had a summer job or worked during the school year, your employer is required to provide you with a T4 slip. Make sure to collect all your T4 slips before filing to avoid any adjustment or delay to your benefit and credit payments.
For information on carrying forward or transferring amounts, and to check out the CRA’s videos for students, go to

Need a hand to prepare your tax return?

The CRA’s online services make filing and managing your taxes easier

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to help file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track the status of your return, register for online mail, apply for child benefits, and more. Access the CRA’s full suite of self-service options - register for My Account at today, and start managing your tax matters online!


Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:


More information
CRA media contact list

Page details

Date modified: