Correct your taxes with the Voluntary Disclosures Program

The Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP) gives you a chance to change a tax return you previously filed or file a return that you should have filed. By making these changes through the VDP, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may give you relief from prosecution and penalties.

How do you make a voluntary disclosure?

The process is easy and you can do everything yourself.

Fill out and sign Form RC199, Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP) – Taxpayer Agreement, or write a letter with the same information as found on the form.

Submit your completed form using the submit documents online service now available through My Account, My Business Account, and Represent a Client.

  • Log into My Account and click on "Submit documents" on the left hand navigation menu.
  • Select "I do not have a case or reference number," and then select "Form RC199 – Taxpayer Agreement or a letter with the same information".
  • Upload Form RC199 or your letter and provide a short file description.
  • After submitting the document(s), make sure to save the provided case/reference number on the "Submit documents – confirmation" page for your records.
  • If you need to add more documents, repeat the process using the same case/reference number as many times as you need to complete your disclosure.
  • Check your mail because the CRA will send you an acknowledgement letter after it receives your disclosure submission. The letter is normally sent within two weeks and will include information about the next steps in the process.

    If someone is making the disclosure for you, (such as your spouse or common-law partner, other family member, friend, or accountant) the CRA needs your authorization to deal with that person as your representative for income tax matters. To authorize someone, complete and send Form T1013, Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative to the CRA.

You can also send your completed Form RC199 or letter to:

The Voluntary Disclosures Program
Shawinigan-Sud National Verification and Collections Centre
4695 Shawinigan-Sud boulevard
Shawinigan, QC G9P 5H9

Important facts

By applying to the CRA under the VDP, you might only pay the taxes you owe plus interest.

A valid disclosure has to meet all four of the following conditions:

  • a penalty would apply
  • it is voluntary, which means you make it before you are aware of the CRA taking any compliance action against you
  • the information is at least one year overdue
  • it includes all the relevant information.

Anyone can use the VDP, including individuals, businesses, employers, payers, trusts and estates, whether a resident or a non-resident of Canada.

More information

To learn more about the VDP, go to


Stay connected


  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Mobile apps
  • Feeds
  • Email
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: