Change organization's legal name

A registered charity that changes its name must provide documentation to the Charities Directorate showing that its name has been legally changed. The charity will receive written confirmation of the change and the charity's new name will be updated in the List of charities on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. A registered charity should only issue receipts in its new name once the new name is reflected in the List of charities.

To submit a change

Through MyBA
  1. Log in to your My Business Account (MyBA) account.
  2. Scroll down to the menu for your charity’s RR account.
  3. Select “Update registered charity or RCAAA information”.
  4. Then, select “Change organization’s legal name” from the dropdown menu.
  5. Provide a detailed description of your request in the text box.
  6. You must upload the amended governing document. See below for more information about the required documentation.
On paper

Mail or fax your request and amended governing document to:

Charities Directorate
Canada Revenue Agency
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5

Fax: 613-954-8037

See below for more information about the required documentation.

Mailed or faxed letters must include the signature of a director/trustee or other authorized representative of the charity. Make sure to include the current name and the registration number of your charity.

Depending on the charity's legal structure, different documentation must be submitted:

Charities that are incorporated

Provide a copy of the amended incorporation documents (for example, supplementary letters patent, articles of amendment, or special resolution) bearing the seal, stamp, or signature of the incorporating authority.

Charities established by a constitution

Provide an amended constitution with the signatures of three directors and the effective date of the change.

Charities established by a trust document

We recommend that a charity get legal advice before making any changes to a trust document to ensure that changes can be made and that they are legally valid.

Internal divisions (such as a congregation, parish, or local branch)

Provide a letter from the head body confirming the change of name and the effective date with the signature of a director, trustee, or other authorized representative of the head body.


A registered charity must make sure that official donation receipts are issued in its legal name as recorded with the Charities Directorate of the CRA. If a registered charity issues an official donation receipt with incorrect information, the charity is liable to a penalty equal to 5% of the eligible amount stated on the receipt. This penalty increases to 10% for a repeat offence within five years. Receipts that show a name other than the name recorded with the Charities Directorate may be rejected when donors claim them on their income tax returns.

Page details

Date modified: