Asking for a disbursement quota reduction
A disbursement quota reduction is available to registered charities whose expenditures on charitable activities or on gifts to qualified donees were less than required in the year due to circumstances beyond their control, thus causing the charity to incur a spending shortfall (not meet their disbursement quota).
A reduction will only be considered once the charity has exhausted all other available means to make up the shortfall such as:
- applying any available excesses from the previous five years to cover the shortfall; and/or
- creating a disbursement quota excess in the next year and carrying it back to cover the shortfall.
Generally, the earliest that a charity can receive approval for a disbursement quota reduction is after it filed a return for the fiscal period-end following the fiscal period-end in which the shortfall occurred.
To make a request
- Log in to your My Business Account (MyBA) account.
- Scroll down to the menu for your charity’s RR account.
- Select “Update registered charity or RCAAA information”.
- Then, select “Request disbursement quota reduction” from the dropdown menu.
- Provide a description of your request in the text box.
- Complete and upload Form T2094 - Registered Charities: Application to Reduce Disbursement Quota. Make sure the form includes the date and the signature of a director/trustee or other authorized representative of the charity.
Complete Form T2094 - Registered Charities: Application to Reduce Disbursement Quota. Make sure the form includes the date and the signature of a director/trustee or other authorized representative of the charity.
Mail or fax your completed form to:
Canada Revenue Agency
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5
Amending the return
If the charity receives approval for a disbursement quota reduction, it must amend the T3010 return for the fiscal period in which the shortfall occurred to include the approved amount on line 5750.
To amend the return, complete Form T1240, Registered Charity Adjustment Request. You can submit the form by logging in to your MyBA and selecting the “Adjust a return” link under your RR account, or you can mail or fax it to the Charities Directorate.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: